The new car tag/tax worked for me....

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
For ONCE a new tax worked in my favor. I didn't want to believe it until I actually paid it but I bought a new car about this time last year. Paid the normal sales tax of course at that time. Since it was close to my birthday I didn't have to pay the ad valorem. Fast forward a year to now and it's time to re-up. Just got back. Total due? ZERO! :cool: Current estimate under the old system would have been around another $2,000 in taxes over 10 years. It will be nice to not have to pay another single penny for at least that vehicle, especially since I tend to keep my vehicles a long time....

That's good, but what if your vehicle is totaled and you must buy a new one. I'm not too familiar with the law. Is there a certain allowance/exemption/deduction for that?

That's good, but what if your vehicle is totaled and you must buy a new one. I'm not too familiar with the law. Is there a certain allowance/exemption/deduction for that?
How did it work before? I presume you just pay the sales tax again since it's a another new purchase. No idea if there's any insurance reimbursement. Fortunately I've never been in that situation. Only difference now will be (at least for Gwinnett) it means an additional 0.5% in 'sales' tax when you buy a new vehicle. Since I bought last year, I didn't even pay the additional 0.5% :)

I bought my truck a few months back and I need to take my paperwork to the tag office so I don't have to pay the ad velorum

Nice. I got a renewal notice in the mail for my '12 Nissan Frontier (which I bought in 2011) for $300 or so. About $25-30 less than last year.

Check your KBB values as well. You may have paid much less than the state/county values the vehicle. In which case, you can appeal to have your taxable amount lowered. Of course this is also based on inspection/mileage/condition/etc of the vehicle you purchased.

Check your KBB values as well. You may have paid much less than the state/county values the vehicle. In which case, you can appeal to have your taxable amount lowered. Of course this is also based on inspection/mileage/condition/etc of the vehicle you purchased.
It was a brand new car and they were NOT dealing much on Elantras then (I bet that changed when the MPG fiasco came to light :rolleyes: ) so paid less than $2k under sticker which from what I gathered was an unbelievable 'deal' per other owners. :rolleyes:

For ONCE a new tax worked in my favor. I didn't want to believe it until I actually paid it but I bought a new car about this time last year. Paid the normal sales tax of course at that time. Since it was close to my birthday I didn't have to pay the ad valorem. Fast forward a year to now and it's time to re-up. Just got back. Total due? ZERO! :cool: Current estimate under the old system would have been around another $2,000 in taxes over 10 years. It will be nice to not have to pay another single penny for at least that vehicle, especially since I tend to keep my vehicles a long time....

You got lucky on the ad velorum. You're supposed to pay that no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom