• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The New Odt My Ass

Reasons are always helpful

While it's not enough to turn me away the sites overall functionality is far clunkier. For instance, to quote someone's posts I have to click three separate buttons. I'm not being lazy that's just clunkier operation. We did gain some great new features and the over look of the site is rather nice...the guts just aren't nearly as intuitive. On the other site an Internet novice could and regularly did puck up how to use it fairly quickly. On this new version I spent 7 mins trying to figure out how to post pics and they still didn't come out right.

maybe I'll grow to like it. I've been on another sight that uses this interface for about 6 months and still can't navigate nearly as easily as i used on the old odt. In fact when I switched between sites I was always thankful that odt was so much easier to navigate.

I still love this place and will renew my supporter status without question but to be honest I might not be on as much anymore. Please don't think I'm just bashing, you asked for input and examples. I still support this place and it's mission 100%.

While it's not enough to turn me away the sites overall functionality is far clunkier. For instance, to quote someone's posts I have to click three separate buttons. I'm not being lazy that's just clunkier operation. We did gain some great new features and the over look of the site is rather nice...the guts just aren't nearly as intuitive. On the other site an Internet novice could and regularly did puck up how to use it fairly quickly. On this new version I spent 7 mins trying to figure out how to post pics and they still didn't come out right.

Quoting should be just as easy as before. You just click "+quote" on each post you want to quote, and then you click insert quotes when you're ready to reply. Is that what you've been doing?

So far Im pretty sure it will keep me from spending as much time as I use to on here.I was on maybe 4 minutes yesterday and about the same today.Its just to busy for me.I agree with Shemp.

Hard to say initially beyond lack of familiarity. For myself the previous version was easier to use because there were many more visible headings I could move my cursor over to & open one. Now I have to open multiple headings to get to the one I want to go to. My internet slows down due to the whole family using multiple devices so each "click" I make takes time to open.

As you are aware most people resist change so lets give it a few weeks to become more accustomed to the new system then any possible critique will be more constructive. I'm sure you had reasons for needing to change (for the greater good) so it will just take some getting used to.

I use this site mostly for the Classifieds section, and to help promote GCO issues and concerns. I do not participate in the "social" threads that seem to take up most of the site.

With that said, here are the reasons that I do not like the new layout.

1. When viewing the list of ads, in handguns for example, I do not really need to see the all the avatars of each person on the left hand side of the screen. It's just more "stuff" that does not need to be seen.

2. When I "hover" over an ad, I have to make sure the ad is in the middle of the screen, or the "hover" screen disappears under the top of my browser. If it went up or down, depending on where the ad was on my screen, then this would be an item I like.

3. Speaking of "like". I know a lot of folks have been asking for a "like" button. For the life of me I do not know why. It seems to be something Facebook users want. I don't get it. It's not in the way, but I don't get it.

4. The new color format is very hard on the eyes. I switched from the blue to green, and that made it better, but the blue, which I like, is very hard to read.

5. The feedback rating chart is nice. Very easy to read and I like that.

6. The location of the members is so small I can barly read it. For a while, I did not even know it was there. It took forever for me to find it!!

7. I don't like having to move my cursor over a thread title to see how many pages or responses a thread has. Minor, I know, but just another thing that seems to be not needed. Just show how many pages a thread has, without adding more steps.

8. The small blue "button" that can be clicked to take you to the last post read in a thread is so small I can barely see it.

9. All the things like "conversations, likes, content, buttons showing locations, etc.", all seem to be geared towards users that are more of the Facebook and social media crowd. Just not my thing.

*****With all that said, nothing I mentioned will stop me from using the site or continuing to be a supporter. I guess I'm just old and prefer a simple and easy to use forum, without a bunch of gadgets and gimmicks.

Thanks for being here for us and providing the service. I appreciate it.

Jerry

It'll all come together. In a few weeks you'll forget that it changed. If you don't like, spend more time with until you can move through the site quickly.

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 5.21.19 PM.png
Quoting should be just as easy as before. You just click "+quote" on each post you want to quote, and then you click insert quotes when you're ready to reply. Is that what you've been doing?
I have found it easier to simply click REPLY on their comment, it auto quotes then.

With the quote tab you have to click to add it to the message, less convenient unless doing a multi-quote.

Back
Top Bottom