*The Official Cast Bullet Thread*

BigBrass, nothing wrong with plain old wheel weights. It's a great alloy for any low-pressure round. There's a lot of folklore about using harder alloys to get less leading, but my experience has been exactly the opposite: Software alloys deform and seal better against blow-by. As long as the lube is up to the job at hand, soft alloy bullets deliver decently clean barrels and excellent accuracy.

I don't shoot through polygonal barrels, so I can't lend any experience to that.
I have exactly the opposite problem with my S&W 29 6" shooting softer lead. It will lead up quick and take me an hour of scrubbing to clean. I casted some harder bullets and had way less leading. I could be related to the lube also. The softer bullets had a blue wax lube. The I used Lyman Molly lube on the ones I cast.

I have exactly the opposite problem with my S&W 29 6" shooting softer lead. It will lead up quick and take me an hour of scrubbing to clean. I casted some harder bullets and had way less leading. I could be related to the lube also. The softer bullets had a blue wax lube. The I used Lyman Molly lube on the ones I cast.

Could be the lube, could be the alloy, could be the pressures involved. The many mysteries that make casting so interesting.

Back
Top Bottom