• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

*The Official Cast Bullet Thread*

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
Looking through the forums there are a lot of you casting and loading lead (or cast) bullets. Wanting to get the information hemmed up in one thread. A place to share information about casting, alloys, loads,etc. Store bought or home poured. Punching paper, silhouette's or hunting. Everything cast bullets.

I've been working with a 300gr .459 from Penn for deer hunting with the 45-70. They say its rated to 2000fps and I had my concerns about going much over that due to the single grease ring. So far I'm at 2150fps with no leading but recovered bullets show the lube is used up. These things are driving deep and putting on a good energy dump. I have my doubts about pushing them much harder, retained weight is falling off pretty quickly too.
0703152232-00.jpg

Lead pot is heating up as I write this......
What ever your homemade bullet lube is, thats some serious stuff. I've been pushing those 405s harder and harder TRYING to find the breaking point where they will lead the barrel. I ran out of case room this weekend @ 45 gr of IMR4198. I am looking for a more dense powder like AA1680 to keep going.

What ever your homemade bullet lube is, thats some serious stuff. I've been pushing those 405s harder and harder TRYING to find the breaking point where they will lead the barrel. I ran out of case room this weekend @ 45 gr of IMR4198. I am looking for a more dense powder like AA1680 to keep going.

Try some Varget if you have any. You can get Varget loads downright painful and frightening, but still be in "the zone".

Back
Top Bottom