• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Official dumb things you've seen in listings thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about my ad. The reason I'm asking to transfer via FFL comes from past experience. I was selling a Yugo SKS and lined up a buyer on another website. We scheduled a meet-up but he didn't want to share a photocopy of his DL or even just provide me with his name so I could fill it into the bill of sale that I was typing up. He said he'd tell me his name at the meet-up. It sounded suspicious to me so I said let's transfer at an FFL of his choice AND I would pay for the transfer fee. He immediately backed out of the sale.

Moral of the story, there are folks out there who cannot own a gun that are actively trying to buy a gun. Do you really want to be the guy that arms the next mass shooter? Transferring via FFL eliminates all such liability. Yeah, it makes it harder for me to line up a buyer, but it gives me total peace-of-mind. And for those that already have their GA carry license, it's fast and seamless. I've priced my rifle to sell below-market prices (judging from other posts, about $100 below the going rate) to make up for any inconvenience. It's worth it to me to eliminate the risk of victims coming after my assets.

But I respect your difference of opinion. If you are a legal buyer that wants to take a principled stance and avoid any and all sales through FFLs because you believe that infringes on the 2nd Amendment, then I wish you the best of luck.
Brother I wish you the best of luck, but there isn't a person on this site that will want it that bad. You'd have better luck selling it to the gun store. Look, whether it makes you feel better or not, it's not the law. People here have their reason for not wanting to do a BoS or FFL transfer, and it has nothing to do with them being shady people. It's all paperwork that can end up in the wrong hands. Whether it's somebody using my personal info from my DL to steal my identity, to being worried about one of the alphabet agencies having a paper trail for purchasing an "assault rifle". Doesn't matter. The law says we don't have to do any paperwork or ID check whatsoever for private sales.

Hi. I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about my ad. The reason I'm asking to transfer via FFL comes from past experience. I was selling a Yugo SKS and lined up a buyer on another website. We scheduled a meet-up but he didn't want to share a photocopy of his DL or even just provide me with his name so I could fill it into the bill of sale that I was typing up. He said he'd tell me his name at the meet-up. It sounded suspicious to me so I said let's transfer at an FFL of his choice AND I would pay for the transfer fee. He immediately backed out of the sale.

Moral of the story, there are folks out there who cannot own a gun that are actively trying to buy a gun. Do you really want to be the guy that arms the next mass shooter? Transferring via FFL eliminates all such liability. Yeah, it makes it harder for me to line up a buyer, but it gives me total peace-of-mind. And for those that already have their GA carry license, it's fast and seamless. I've priced my rifle to sell below-market prices (judging from other posts, about $100 below the going rate) to make up for any inconvenience. It's worth it to me to eliminate the risk of victims coming after my assets.

But I respect your difference of opinion. If you are a legal buyer that wants to take a principled stance and avoid any and all sales through FFLs because you believe that infringes on the 2nd Amendment, then I wish you the best of luck.

Don't take it personal, it's all light hearted and we cut up in this thread.
But, for future reference here is a short educational video on the bill of sail and how it protects you

Really? The last few mass shooters passed background checks from the FFL, bought guns legally, so no. You're absolutely wrong on this point.

The most recent mass shooter failed to pass the background check and obtained his firearms some other way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-gunman-weapons-background-check/2195417001/

Also, I never saw your ad, so I was giving my point as a general rule. I wasn't talking about you specifically.

It's all good. Another guy mentioned my Mini 14 ad so he was likely talking about me. This thread is titled "the official dumb things you've seen in listings" thread, so if folks think I'm being dumb, then I think it's fair for me to explain why I'm asking to transfer through an FFL. It's not because I'm a jerk, and it's not because I think a FFL transfer is mandatory for in-state sales. It's about eliminating my liability. I realize some folks may consider a transfer via FFL to be a political red line. Cool. We can respectfully disagree with one another.

The most recent mass shooter failed to pass the background check and obtained his firearms some other way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-gunman-weapons-background-check/2195417001/

It's all good. Another guy mentioned my Mini 14 ad so he was likely talking about me. This thread is titled "the official dumb things you've seen in listings" thread, so if folks think I'm being dumb, then I think it's fair for me to explain why I'm asking to transfer through an FFL. It's not because I'm a jerk, and it's not because I think a FFL transfer is mandatory for in-state sales. It's about eliminating my liability. I realize some folks may consider a transfer via FFL to be a political red line. Cool. We can respectfully disagree with one another.
This will probably be a goofy new law soon anyway. You're alright Man and you're right...you can try to sell your guns however you see fit . :thumb:

If you do what is required by GA law, and that means you don't knowingly sell to a felon or anyone who is otherwise restricted from purchasing or owning the firearm you are selling, that eliminates your liability.
But yeah- your gun, your rules.
GLWS.

Brother I wish you the best of luck, but there isn't a person on this site that will want it that bad. You'd have better luck selling it to the gun store...

You may be right. And if that's the case, I'll just sell it on GB. Just as others have their reasons for avoiding FFL transfers (and I respect the legitimate reasons), I have my reasons for wanting to go through a FFL.

Though I do appreciate the philosophical discussion and I'm glad folks here can disagree in a civil manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom