• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Official dumb things you've seen in listings thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moral of the story, there are folks out there who cannot own a gun that are actively trying to buy a gun. Do you really want to be the guy that arms the next mass shooter? Transferring via FFL eliminates all such liability...It's worth it to me to eliminate the risk of victims coming after my assets.
It is interesting to me that you mention the "moral of the story" and then immediately go on to make, arguably, a remarkably immoral point. Your concern is not the legitimacy of the action but the liability. Your principal concern is protecting your financial assets...and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, to juxtapose it with the loss of life in the aftermath of an event like that...it's kind of disgusting. "Yeah, I know, I know...I totally sold him the gun but I went through an FFL, so 'Nanna nanna boo boo, you can't get mines!'"
Really? The last few mass shooters passed background checks from the FFL, bought guns legally, so no. You're absolutely wrong on this point.
His point isn't that it wouldn't be his fault. His point is that he feels that a transfer through an FFL protects him from civil litigation in the aftermath of the event. Literally it's a "they can't sue me" move.

It is interesting to me that you mention the "moral of the story" and then immediately go on to make, arguably, a remarkably immoral point. Your concern is not the legitimacy of the action but the liability. Your principal concern is protecting your financial assets...and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, to juxtapose it with the loss of life in the aftermath of an event like that...it's kind of disgusting. "Yeah, I know, I know...I totally sold him the gun but I went through an FFL, so 'Nanna nanna boo boo, you can't get mines!'"

His point isn't that it wouldn't be his fault. His point is that he feels that a transfer through an FFL protects him from civil litigation in the aftermath of the event. Literally it's a "they can't sue me" move.

Buddy, it's both. I don't want blood on my hands nor do I want a lawsuit. I'm not sure why you are interpreting my desire for "peace-of-mind" to be exclusively a legal concern when I specifically stated that I already knew it wasn't legally required. Your position is that if I don't specifically state "arming bad guys is bad because people might get hurt," then I'm morally fine with harm to victims and I only selfishly care about my legal position? Come on, get real. You guys can disagree with my opinion but demonizing me as "immoral" and "disgusting" is way over-the-top. The take in this thread has gone from me being overly concerned about arming bad guys to actually not caring about victims at all. Wow.

Do me a favor and stick to calling me stubborn or even "dumb." Thanks.

Buddy, it's both. I don't want blood on my hands nor do I want a lawsuit.
Then don't sell guns to anyone, ever. Because that guy might sell it to some bad person and then it's "If I hadn't sold it to him, he couldn't have sold it to the other guy."

I'm not sure why you are interpreting my desire for "peace-of-mind" to be exclusively a legal concern when I specifically stated that I already knew it wasn't legally required.
Because you specifically said that you did it "to eliminate the risk of victims coming after my assets."

You guys can disagree with my opinion but demonizing me as "immoral" and "disgusting" is way over-the-top. The take in this thread has gone from me being overly concerned about arming bad guys to actually not caring about victims at all. Wow.
I'm just reading what you wrote. It comes across, at least to me, that way. :noidea:

Do me a favor and stick to calling me stubborn or even "dumb." Thanks.
I'm not calling you anything, just evaluating your intentions in light of your own words.

But I'll move on....this thread is about dumb things in other threads...not this one.

Hi. I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about my ad. The reason I'm asking to transfer via FFL comes from past experience. I was selling a Yugo SKS and lined up a buyer on another website. We scheduled a meet-up but he didn't want to share a photocopy of his DL or even just provide me with his name so I could fill it into the bill of sale that I was typing up. He said he'd tell me his name at the meet-up. It sounded suspicious to me so I said let's transfer at an FFL of his choice AND I would pay for the transfer fee. He immediately backed out of the sale.

Moral of the story, there are folks out there who cannot own a gun that are actively trying to buy a gun. Do you really want to be the guy that arms the next mass shooter? Transferring via FFL eliminates all such liability. Yeah, it makes it harder for me to line up a buyer, but it gives me total peace-of-mind. And for those that already have their GA carry license, it's fast and seamless. I've priced my rifle to sell below-market prices (judging from other posts, about $100 below the going rate) to make up for any inconvenience. It's worth it to me to eliminate the risk of victims coming after my assets.

But I respect your difference of opinion. If you are a legal buyer that wants to take a principled stance and avoid any and all sales through FFLs because you believe that infringes on the 2nd Amendment, then I wish you the best of luck.

My roommate who works at a gun store in Atlanta sold guns to Siraj Ibn Wahhaj who was training kids to do mass shootings in New Mexico. So I don't see how a 4473 would stop bad people, but that's my 2 cents on the matter.

The most recent mass shooter failed to pass the background check and obtained his firearms some other way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-gunman-weapons-background-check/2195417001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-gunman-weapons-background-check/2195417001/
Are you new?..Because No one will pay any attention to facts that don't fit the argument around here.

From the Article:
"The gunman who killed seven people and wounded 25 more in a shooting rampage along a west Texas highway Saturday had previously failed a gun background check.

"Not only did the Odessa gunman have a criminal history ... he also previously failed a gun purchase background check in Texas," Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said in tweet Monday.

Abbott added that the shooter did not go through a background check for the firearm used in the shooting."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom