• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
Been following this thread for a while now. Finally went out and found a bottle of Eagle Rare.

Tried it straight and over ice. Tasted like turpentine both ways.

What am I doing wrong or missing?
I wasn't a huge fan of ER either. It was palatable, but that's about it. I'll stick with my Four Roses 🌹 thank you.

Been following this thread for a while now. Finally went out and found a bottle of Eagle Rare.

Depends on what you're used to drinking and/or what flavor profile you like.

yah everyone has their tastes. i personally love ER but also mainly as my bar bottle. It tasted alot better when it was 23 bucks for a bottle and not 40+

Everyone's palate is different. I hate everything I've tried from Buffalo Trace, including Eagle Rare. I love most of the stuff I've tried from Old Forester, with their regular 100 proof being the exception, didn't like that one. The regular 86 proof is pretty good for a sub $25 bottle.

I didn't think I liked rye whiskey at all, but took a chance on Sagamore Double Oak Rye and love it. But it does seem more like a double oaked bourbon than a rye to me.

My suggestion as someone who only really recently discovered bourbons I don't hate and actually enjoy the taste of, would be to find a bar or a friend with a wide variety on hand and just sample stuff from different distilleries and different mash bills, if getting into bourbon is your goal. Hell if you were closer, I'd be happy to give you a sample of any bottle I have.

PXL_20240321_215506958.jpg

Everything to the left of the Bib &Tucker Double Char(dark bottle in center) I like to some degree or love. Everything to the right of it, I either don't really like or completely hate. The Booker's and the five far right bottles are not mine, but I've tried them. The Bib & Tucker is my newest acquisition and hasn't been opened yet. I've tried several more, but these are what I have in the cabinet at the moment.

View attachment 7035513

Everything to the left of the Bib &Tucker Double Char(dark bottle in center) I like to some degree or love. Everything to the right of it, I either don't really like or completely hate.
I see a Weller on the right... sorry to see that. Weller was next on my list to try.

Thanks. I'll start looking for a variety.

Back
Top Bottom