• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thermal help

Emmersom Biggens

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
I have been looking at these things over a year now.. I have read articles,reviews,etc until I have given myself information overload. It’s going to be primarily for predator/hog hunting. Does anybody have experience with a model they absolutely love or hate. I’m trying to stay around $5k, but if a better model is available for a little more I’m ok with that too. Any input is appreciated. ATN has some great rebates right now, are they ok?

I have used Armasight products before. They work, but take some getting used to.

You should have many good choices in that price range. Try to rent one before you buy. There is at least one company that rents them. I would not buy one without using it in the field first. What I like may not suit you.

IMHO, the Trijicon IR (formerly IR Defense) is the best thermal on the market today, but even on sale I doubt you'll get below $6K. Flir recently released their ThermoSight Pro PTS233, and although it's very nice, it's entry level at around $2k. And the 640 core isn't due for release until 2018.

The new Pulsar thermals are probably going to be your best option at a $5K budget. You can get in a Pulsar 640 core with either the XP38 or the XP50. Although the screen is not quite as nice as the Trijicon, it's darn close, and they have some very nice features like picture-in-picture and onboard recording. The ATN is not bad either, but they are not known for the best customer service.

UltimateNightVision.com rents.
TNVC and their sister company NightGoggles.com are good.
And sometimes you can find good deals at OpticsPlanet or DVOR, but they drop ship so it could take longer to get it.

Thank you for your input! I ordered a Trijicon REAP-IR. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Trijicon guy who knew them backwards and forwards. The model I got can be used as a clip on to work with other optics as well.

Thank you for your input! I ordered a Trijicon REAP-IR. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Trijicon guy who knew them backwards and forwards. The model I got can be used as a clip on to work with other optics as well.

You won't be disappointed with the REAP-IR. The view is very nice and crisp.

Back
Top Bottom