• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is Bear's fault. Scope Gremlins...

Lionheart

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
En vino veritas
210   0
Reaction score
See if you can figure out this day at the range out by these photos...

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

I'll tell the rest of the story if y'all are interested...warning its kinda long and convoluted.
(But it does involve more pics and its a rainy day!):confused:
Everybody get the sign comments off your chest and we will get down to the story if you want.:pop2:

Well Bear you got me wondering about how my suppressor POI might be different with air vs gas so I decided to check my .264 WM. It was sighted in about 1.75 in high at 100 but I have recently added a brake/adapter for my can and had not checked to see if changed my zero.
Of course I can never take one gun so I decided to shoot my .300 blackout pistol and my Bergara 6.5CM also.
My adult son was with me and we shot the pistol first. No issues, just fun. He is not such a good shot.
Next up was the .264 and I was pleasantly surprised that with the can it was still zeroed where I wanted it and I could detect no POI shift when can was aired out vs gassed.
The gremlins came out when I shot the Bergara CM. My LGS had mounted my Vortex Viper a few months ago but I had never zeroed the rifle (it was boresighted only). So at 25 yds the first shot went a few inches left. No big deal. I cranked the windage right and fired a second shot...a little right. Again no big deal. A little tweak back left and I fully expected to be close enough to go to 100yds.
Then the gremlins came.
I chose a new POA for 3rd shot...the o in post. Surprise. no bullet hole. I'm thinking "Huh?". No way. I'm shooting prone with a good rest...at 25 yds.
So I think....maybe turret needs a little tap. Which I do. 4th shot. No hole. Now I.m really scratching my head and saying bad words. Try 5th shot at new POA. No hole.Next I get bolt out and while I keep bore sighted on target get my son to look through scope. He says crosshairs are way high and left. I don't believe it,,,,think its because he is not directly behind scope. So I swap places with him. When he has bore on target I peek thru scope....crosshairs are way high right.
I call bs and get rifle steady with target in bore and I peek through scope. It's dead on.

So I go back to original POA and shoot. !" left. 6th shot. I'm thinking that crosshairs have finally settled and all is good. So I try 7th shot at same POA with no scope adjustment. No hole. Again, 8th shot. No hole.

By the way I checked all mounting screws on base and scope after 4th shot. All good.

Only conclusion for me is bad scope. Or gremlins.

What say you ODT?

Back
Top Bottom