• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

This is my BOOM STICK!

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Range report, first time shooting this one and first time owning a semi-auto shotgun.

The start Mossberg 930 SPX:

i49.tinypic.com_m9qfbp.jpg

The range before:

i50.tinypic.com_2ywh382.jpg

The ammo (2-3/4 inch slugs not shown), note only the Winchester 3" 00 buck failed to function, it would spit loaded rounds out the bottom on the ground. All else worked fine from the shoulder or buttstock pressed against the hip. I could induce a malfunction if held off the shoulder/hip and didn't hold it really firm with bird shot. I was not manly enough to try this with the buckshot/slugs or especially the 3" magnum 15 pellet 12 gauge shells. :shocked: My shoulder is still warm.

i50.tinypic.com_180k11.jpg

I tried rapidly running through 5 each of the Remington 3" Magnum 00 buck shells and wussed out after the 4th and just had to take a breath. They hurt at both ends!

The aftermath:

i46.tinypic.com_21nh9ci.jpg

i45.tinypic.com_2lkfm2c.jpg

i47.tinypic.com_11cfapt.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_35isvlx.jpg

While not flesh and bone the history of the combat shotgun makes a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_shotgun

It worked too good!

The Winchester Model 1897 (versions of which were type classified as the Model 97 or M97 for short) fired each time the action closed with the trigger depressed (that is, it lacks a trigger disconnector and is capable of slamfire). Coupled with its six-shot capacity made it effective for close combat, such that troops referred to it as a "trench sweeper". The slamfire allowed troops to empty the whole magazine tube into enemies with great speed. The spread of the buckshot allowed the weapon to hit many targets with minimal aiming. The Model 1897 was so effective, and feared, that the German government protested (in vain) to have it outlawed in combat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897

Last edited:
I got rid of my Beretta in favor of one of these. I love it. I even got the barrel tapped to take choke tubes and now turkey hunt with it also. Great shotgun and a big bang for your buck. It will run anything reliably, too. I bought mine years ago when they first came out for...get this....$350.00. SCORE!

I got rid of my Beretta in favor of one of these. I love it. I even got the barrel tapped to take choke tubes and now turkey hunt with it also. Great shotgun and a big bang for your buck. It will run anything reliably, too. I bought mine years ago when they first came out for...get this....$350.00. SCORE!

I have to say for what's available for a semi-auto shotgun this is hard to beat. Please someone post a better shotgun for less. I did have serious issues with Winchester 3" 00 buckshot. One shot and fail to feed, clean round puked on the dirt, every time. Remington 3" 00 Buck shot ran like a raging frigging bull and was more than I wanted to shoot after 4 rapid shots. Just beastly rounds. 15 buck shot pellets verses 9 and whole lot of hurt to deliver to a target.

I'm bruising up a bit on the right shoulder. 3" magnum buckshot is a hella round. Dannnnng! I'm sticking with 2-3/4" shells

Oh yeah. Those 3" magnum rounds are almost pointless in training unless you're a glutton for punishment. Leave those for your adrenaline gassed HD/zombie situations. :)

Great review on the Mossy. Heck of an auto loader for the price.

Reminton ran fine and the Winchester didnt? Huh, good to know. Thanks.

I ran some remington rifled slugs, 2 3/4, 1560 fps, they ran great.

Whats the velocity On the Reminton and the Winchester loads you tested?

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom