This veteran needs your support!

I actually read the whole article and can see both sides.
Yes the police could have handled the situation in a better way but:

The Vet cursed at the Officer which put the officer at an "ok smart A$$, you want to play games" state
The Vet could not remember his basic training base which. Most vets even older ones I know remember their first and last duty station.
Ribbon placement is easily viewed at several military ribbon builder sights, If you are going to wear the uniform at least take pride in it and make sure its correct. The day I retired I set up my Class As one last time and that's the way they will stay until I pass.

Yes some guys go overboard on the "Stolen Valor" stuff, me personally I'll just give a come on man!! really!!

Actually, if you read closely, the vet new his whereabouts for boot camp, but I think by then his patience was worn out and he told them to pound sand before walking away.

It's just frustrating to know this happens.

umm, no. he said his MOS and specialty but when the officer asked about basic he didn't know. I did read closely. Not on anybody's side here just reading what was posted.

The officer asked for Ford's unit and his military occupation specialty.

Ford answered and noted he specialized in machine guns, rockets and flame-throwers.

"I have to investigate for 'stolen valor,' " the officer said, which Ford said he found insulting.

Still, Ford let it pass and recommended the officer attend the wreath-laying ceremony next year. The officer simply walked away.

Ford returned to shopping, but 10 minutes later was again confronted by the officer in front of The Patriot-News booth.

"Where did you go to boot camp?" the officer said.

Ford said he couldn't figure out why the officer was questioning his service. Ford hadn't claimed any war heroics and his uniform bore no combat medals.

"What am I trying to do?" Ford said. "Impersonate a lance corporal who never served in combat?"

Things quickly escalated.

"What is your problem?" Ford asked.

The officer reiterated his demand.

Fed up, Ford told the officer to leave him alone in terms that contained an expletive.

That's when the officer started shouting, Ford said.

"You don't know where you went to boot camp," the officer said, according to Ford. "You aren't a Marine."

Anybody can name 2nd Marines and Infantry (I'm not a Marine) but basic isn't something you would forget. (C-2-46 INF, Fort Knox KY Jul 08th 1990)

Its frustrating to find out people lie about their service. I know a "retired" Navy person but claims Dobbins will not allow him on base or to the BX, raising suspicion yes, but am I going to claim Stolen Valor, No. Not worth my time.

Would you be kind enough to highlight exactly where it says he didn't know, because I am taking sides and read your posted quotes and I can't find it. He specifically says that he was trying to figure out why his service was being questioned! That is the point in the confrontation that he had reached his patience and it escalated from there.

Just because that POS claimed it does not make it fact.

i am taking sides

I blame the Democrat Mayor in charge.. TOGETHER WE CAN..... humiliate veterans... Thank you Mr. Papenfuse. I know great leadership starts at the top.

EricPapenfuse-HorizontalPressPicture.jpg

Back
Top Bottom