• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on .224 Valkyrie

Old Patriot

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
60   0
Reaction score
A co-worker got me into a discussion on the .224 Valkyrie round. At that point I hadn't heard of it. Checked it out and found is supersedes the 6.5 Creedmore and Grendel round. The round maintains supersonic speed pass 1000 yards, depending on the bullet grain. Anyone checked into this or has experience? Was about to do another build and was thinking of 6.8 spc, but after reading about the valkyrie round which uses the 6.8 mag and bolt, I looking more into it. Thoughts?

I think it's really cool. I like the concept and the theory.
Practically speaking, I have enough calibers to keep track of right now and I am loathe to add yet another caliber. Really don't want to buy more s*** to support even more s***.

There were a couple of threads about the round, I'm on my phone so it isn't easy to copy & paste.

I like the idea of having the ability to shoot out to a thousand yards by simply putting a new upper on an AR lower I already have but I have a couple of very accurate 5.56 uppers I never shoot.

As far as lack of availability during SHTF? I've been waiting for the Apocalypse since the early 70s, starting to think it's never going to get here.

I'm swapping to grendel's for hunting this year. Light wieght and effective bullets (by the numbers, haven't taken any game yet).

Valkyrie looks cool for long range target shooting or varmints, especially for younger or smaller shooters where recoil may be an issue.

Lots of info already out on it. Does not supersede the 6.5 Creedmoor. Comparable to a 6.5 grendel, although slight advantage to the 224v. Ammo is cheap. Can easily find decent ammo for 50 cents a round. 6.8 vs 224 is a matter of what your intended purpose is.

I'm sure GregVess will be in here soon to give you all the koolaid you can handle on 6.8 and his various builds.

Back
Top Bottom