Thoughts on an inexpensive truck gun.

Hard to beat an SKS for a truck gun. I carried my Norinco in the trunk of my car for 3 years and it's still in great shape. I kept it oiled and it doesn't have a spot of rust on it. I got mine for $50, but that was back in '96.

Whats the main purpose for the gun, hunting or self defense?

For hutning i'd go bolt or an break action. More accurate than a cheap semi & lighter to boot. I picked up a stevens 270 on here with dnz mount for $200, was gona use it as a rebarrel but it shoots to good to mess with. Light, handy & enough power to put anything I aim at down. I use a Nikon 4x on that for simplicity.

For self defense/shtf. Search for an sks & put a folding stock on it. I keep a kel tec sub 2000 as my truck gun, folds to 16" and takes 9mm from glock mags. They went up in price since I bought mine so that might not be in your price range.

If they shoot decent, I'd look at those 7.62x54 Type 53 Chinese Carbines that was metioned earlier. For $117 that should be a no brainer as a truck gun. Krylon it and use it as a back up. Heck if i had the scratch for another project gun i'd check it out.

Here's a link where people talking about the chinese type 53. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35497

Last edited:
Whats the main purpose for the gun, hunting or self defense?

For hutning i'd go bolt or an break action. More accurate than a cheap semi & lighter to boot. I picked up a stevens 270 on here with dnz mount for $200, was gona use it as a rebarrel but it shoots to good to mess with. Light, handy & enough power to put anything I aim at down. I use a Nikon 4x on that for simplicity.

For self defense/shtf. Search for an sks & put a folding stock on it. I keep a kel tec sub 2000 as my truck gun, folds to 16" and takes 9mm from glock mags. They went up in price since I bought mine so that might not be in your price range.

If they shoot decent, I'd look at those 7.62x54 Type 53 Chinese Carbines that was metioned earlier. For $117 that should be a no brainer as a truck gun. Krylon it and use it as a back up. Heck if i had the scratch for another project gun i'd check it out.

Here's a link where people talking about the chinese type 53. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35497

Why does a hunting/self defense rifle have to be different?

Why does a hunting/self defense rifle have to be different?

In a way it doesn't, but many people would prefer a semi-automatic for a defense weapon with the ability to hold high capacity rounds. I was throwing that out there since most people go by those standards. If I were planning on using it as a hunting gun, any cheap gun capable taking game is fine.

Say if something happened and I needed to get home safely with out my truck. I'd prefer my Kel Tec Sub2k, its light, holds 30rds of 9mm and can fold up & stored in my bag so other people don't see me walking around armed.

Back
Top Bottom