Thoughts on an inexpensive truck gun.

In a way it doesn't, but many people would prefer a semi-automatic for a defense weapon with the ability to hold high capacity rounds. I was throwing that out there since most people go by those standards. If I were planning on using it as a hunting gun, any cheap gun capable taking game is fine.

Say if something happened and I needed to get home safely with out my truck. I'd prefer my Kel Tec Sub2k, its light, holds 30rds of 9mm and can fold up & stored in my bag so other people don't see me walking around armed.

I've noticed quite a few folks want a lot of rounds in their (fill-in-the-blank-here) gun. I guess I feel like that's a bit of a crutch or shows a lack of confidence in one's abilities. If the OP is looking for the comfort provided by the ten rounds of 7.62x39 provided by a stock SKS then that's not a bad thing. If he's looking for an inexpensive long gun to keep in his truck for just-in-case scenarios such as dispatching a coyote or possibly a less that pleasant social situation then a lever action in .30/30, .35 Remington or even a pistol cartridge like .357 Mag or .44 Mag would do very well.

I'd start looking at Eastern European handguns: Tokarev, FEG PA-63, etc. Not pretty, but cheap ($150 or so) and reliable.

I've noticed quite a few folks want a lot of rounds in their (fill-in-the-blank-here) gun. I guess I feel like that's a bit of a crutch or shows a lack of confidence in one's abilities. If the OP is looking for the comfort provided by the ten rounds of 7.62x39 provided by a stock SKS then that's not a bad thing. If he's looking for an inexpensive long gun to keep in his truck for just-in-case scenarios such as dispatching a coyote or possibly a less that pleasant social situation then a lever action in .30/30, .35 Remington or even a pistol cartridge like .357 Mag or .44 Mag would do very well.

I agree, a lever action would be a fine truck gun. Throw a Skinner peep sight on one and its good to go.

Kel tec sub 2000 in 40 caliber. Hard to beat. You can find'em for 350-400 all day long...If you not a well versed shooter who practices regular then the next best thing would be the shotgun.

I was thinking $100 - $200 price range. I'm not to keen on the idea of leaving a $300+ gun in the truck all the time.

As far as action goes, I was leaning toward bolt action in order to stay in my price range. If I can find a semi-auto such as an sks like NWS mentioned, I'd jump all over it.

Chinese type 56 sks, they are $230.

Back
Top Bottom