• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on the Dillion 550

Started with a 450 many years ago and then had it rebuilt into a 550.
Have used it strictly for handguns but it will be seeing rifle ammo here shortly.
Have actually worn out some parts that were replaced under the no BS warranty.
Still use my Rockchucker for a lot of my rifle ammo.

Tom

Not having auto advance makes the 550 little more than a glorified turret press. A 650 will be much better for a high volume reloader (assuming you won't/can't pay for a 1050). the only thing a 550 has over the 650 is the ability to load a greater number of calibers. If you want to load something that is unavailable with the 650, then the 500 is for you. Otherwise, case feeder and auto advance make it a no-contest. 650 all the way.

In fact, if all you are going to do is handgun calibers, the Square Deal B is better than the 550. Why? Auto advance. It is a true progressive press.

I have the 550 and a 650. I use the 550 for 308, 223, and 300BLK. I use the 650 for my pistol cals. The 650 will crank out some serious volume and the quality is top notch. The 550 is awesome for rifle cals. I can load one round at a time if I want or I can go all out and load some serious ammo. I find that if you choose the right powder for rifle then you get VERY good quality...... Big long rods of powder do not measure very well on any progressive. Use a smaller/finer powder like True Blue and life is good....

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_695fbd62.jpg

Very nice set up.

I run two 550s; one set up for small primers and one for large. Never had an issue with the primer seating that I felt was a PITA. In a shotshell progressive loader I would agree with you.
Dillon press - worth the money.

one leason I've learned on all my progressive loaders( star, dillion) is to only use swaged primer pocket military brass

no brass shavings to deal with at all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom