• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on the Dillion 550

Remmy83

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
I'm planning on up grading to a Dillion 550 and wanted some first hand feedback on the pros and cons of this machine. I've been reloading on a single stage for a few years now, simply looking to increase my volume. I plan on using it to load 223, 40, and, 45. Any advice, tips, tricks, or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Love my 550. Load 45 ACP on the 550 and 9mm on a square deal b. Load 5.56 single stage as I still do for all my rifle reloads

Is there a particular reason you choose to load 5.56 single stage? Quantity vs quality? I'm going to continue loading for accuracy on the single stage.

Don't trust myself on a progressive when I load rifle. I manually measure every charge on rifle so the progressive just doesn't help me.

I have the 550 and a 650. I use the 550 for 308, 223, and 300BLK. I use the 650 for my pistol cals. The 650 will crank out some serious volume and the quality is top notch. The 550 is awesome for rifle cals. I can load one round at a time if I want or I can go all out and load some serious ammo. I find that if you choose the right powder for rifle then you get VERY good quality...... Big long rods of powder do not measure very well on any progressive. Use a smaller/finer powder like True Blue and life is good....

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_695fbd62.jpg

Look into a Hornady Lock-N-Load before you decide. It is heaver and stronger. AND it's a 5 holer. You can load one ctg at a time or go for the speed. I used a 550 for 40 years, like my LNL versitility much better. Have fun!!!

one thing to consider about any Dillon product is their 100% no bull warranty.. they really do back their products up Dillion is family run by a bunch of shooters. Had the pleasure to meet Mike Dillion a few years back and tour the factory in Phoenix...lot more going on there than reloaders......I've owned a 550 for years and it's a great unit for what you want...

Last edited:
I have used a lot of presses from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, and Dillon. I have to be honest, it is worth going with the Dillon just for the customer service. Their 550B is a phenominal press. The one downside to it would have to be that it does'nt auto index, but that is not a big deal. Like almost everyone I still reload some rifle on single stage for accuracy but I reload everything from 9mm,10mm, 223, 308 on my Dillon and get great results. Buy the 550 with confidence!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom