• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tight magwell

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
So I finished a pistol build (future SBR) and I go to put a mag in it and it's tight as hell!!!! I can put the mag in but it needs a pretty good slap on the bottom to fully seat and lock in the mag and then when the mag release is pressed it does not drop free even being fully loaded. I can pull it out by hand but I'm use to mags dropping free from my rifles. I have a lot of money tied up into this build and I am not sure what to do to solve this problem any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 56
So I finished a pistol build (future SBR) and I go to put a mag in it and it's tight as hell!!!! I can put the mag in but it needs a pretty good slap on the bottom to fully seat and lock in the mag and then when the mag release is pressed it does not drop free even being fully loaded. I can pull it out by hand but I'm use to mags dropping free from my rifles. I have a lot of money tied up into this build and I am not sure what to do to solve this problem any suggestions?

Gen 3 Pmag?

Find the high spots with a metal mag covered with candle soot or similar substance. Then take a flat piece of wood with emory cloth and very carefully bring down the high spots. Don't remove too much material as it will wear with use.

I contacted spikes and they told me the same as most of you to lightly sand the high spots in the magwell and it worked out pretty good

Have you tried pressing the magazine release button all the way in until the magazine catch clears the lower receiver, then rotating the magazine catch one turn counter clockwise? It could be nothing more than the magazine catch is too tight.

I am with mtdawg169 mtdawg169 ......sanding a new receiver, nope. Either the lower receiver is in spec or it's not.

Edit to add: Never mind, I see you have already sanded the magwell to your satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom