• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Time for a Tune Up

silverado31794

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
130   0
Reaction score
So Im gonna tune my truck up, and I was looking to see if any GM freaks could recommend a good plug. Last time I replaced I went with AC Delco Platinums. While scouring the net I read that now when you get a AC plug it may be a champion autolite or something of that nature and i'm not a fan of those 2 especially in a Chevy. I heard NGK was a good plug but never used them before. These will be going in a 2000 Silverado 4.8L with 133k miles on it.

I've run NGK's in just about every vehicle I have owned. Everything from Nissan to Chevy to Toyota. I like NGK plugs, period. I generally run their copper plugs and change them out every 25K miles. I know they will last 50K if they have to if the engine is burning cleanly. Their platinum plugs are great and are supposed to last 100K miles, but they are usually 4X as expensive as the copper ones...and I'd rather have a new set of plugs more often for the same money. But YMMV...

If you can't tell...NGK's are my favorite plugs. Got them in my 1992 Silverado now...and they'll go in my other vehicles when the time comes.

"Last time you replaced them?" Maintenance lists them to be replaced every 100K. I have always used O.E. parts for the vehicles I service. G.M. gets Delco, Ford gets Motorcraft and Chrysler would get either Champion or NGK (depending on what came out originally). Stick with the original equipment and you won't go wrong.

Just one word to the wise, replace the wires @ the same time and save yourself a trip back to the store. Again, Delco wires with the plugs are a must!
Just my experience servicing my customer's cars.....

ACdelco in a GM product, anything else is wrong. ASE L1 Master Go to NAPA ask for the OE plug (iridium) and get the NAPA premium wires or the DELCO wires. BTW plugs are changed every 90k on GMs so if you have a stall,stumble, stop problem its something else

Last edited:
I know when to change my plugs but I just do it every few years as insurance to me. Just cause they say they last that long don't mean they will. It will get Plugs and wires along with fuel filter, front and possibly rear brakes.

Back
Top Bottom