• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

To those of you that report the scammers as soon as you see them....

I probably nuked 10 just last week. If we can verify it, they are gone.
We get a lot of "something smells fishy about this user" with nothing else to go on. Details help. Sometimes we can verify bad actors, sometimes we can't.
As mentioned, anything that potentially helps a member from getting taken is appreciated.

A lot of the supposed problem would take care of itself if the ability to lock "for sale" post was eliminated.

Someone asked how you recognize a scammer...

Most of you already know this and it should be obvious, but just in case , here are some pointers.

As previously mentioned, some are better than others. But, many of them have common elements.

Someone just posted an ad for a $500 Walther PDP. That is way less than they are going for which is a red flag.

It was a brand new user. Second red flag .

Their username was their last name and two first names. Third red flag. This is very common of scammers in certain countries because they do not understand the way our names work here.

The pictures looked like professional pictures and the text of the ad sounded like it was copied and pasted from the Walther website. Fourth red flag. I looked on GunBroker, which is the most common source of the texts and photos for the scams and found the same pistol listed with an FFL in Pennsylvania. 5th red flag.

I responded to the post with sarcasm. The poster didn't know what to make of it. Sixth red flag. Neither bots, nor scammers understand the intricacies the English language. A good way to flush them out is to say something sarcastic.

If you contact them and they want you to send them money, they want you to accept a money order, they wants you to ship, Etc up those are all red flags.

If you do decide to ship, go out of your way to verify the FFL information, get their phone number, Etc.

Google all of that info to see if it matches. Look up the address on Google Street View. Etc

The reality is that scammers only defraud people because a certain number of people fall for it.

Stay safe out there.

Someone just posted an ad for a $500 Walther PDP. That is way less than they are going for which is a red flag.

Those 2 things right there would save people from 99% of issues.
As the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it is. And no, you are not going to be the 'lucky' one that has a new member sell something for less than it's worth because they don't know better.
HIT THE REPORT BUTTON!
We've nuked 50 different scam accounts just today. I can only imagine how many got through undetected, so far.....

Most of you already know this and it should be obvious, but just in case , here are some pointers.

As previously mentioned, some are better than others. But, many of them have common elements.

Their username was their last name and two first names. Third red flag. This is very common of scammers in certain countries because they do not understand the way our names work here.

The pictures looked like professional pictures and the text of the ad sounded like it was copied and pasted from the Walther website. Fourth red flag. I looked on GunBroker, which is the most common source of the texts and photos for the scams and found the same pistol listed with an FFL in Pennsylvania. 5th red flag.

I responded to the post with sarcasm. The poster didn't know what to make of it. Sixth red flag. Neither bots, nor scammers understand the intricacies the English language. A good way to flush them out is to say something sarcastic.

If you contact them and they want you to send them money, they want you to accept a money order, they wants you to ship, Etc up those are all red flags.

If you do decide to ship, go out of your way to verify the FFL information, get their phone number, Etc.

Google all of that info to see if it matches. Look up the address on Google Street View. Etc

The reality is that scammers only defraud people because a certain number of people fall for it.

Stay safe out there.
There is one here on odt.. been here for awhile.. wanted me to ship him my product.. then when he received it , he would send his out SOON AS HE COULD

Stay safe out there.
Lol..it sent me a pm saying when would I like to meet..I responded with tomorrow works...then I get the...oh no tomorrow won't work..how about Monday...then..they got zapped... :)

The very fact that they persist is proof that a certain percentage of people fall for it. Without greed and gullibility, they would go away .

="BDR1, post: 11413005, member: 33763"]There is one here on odt.. been here for awhile.. wanted me to ship him my product.. then when he received it , he would send his out SOON AS HE COULD[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom