Tourist submarine on expedition to Titanic wreck goes missing

In that position, I would hope to pass out first. But, I would also never be in that position! I’m claustrophobic and would turn and run when I saw the tube
not-no.jpg

German who paid OceanGate to see Titanic wreck in 2021 says he was 'incredibly lucky' to make it​

Shortly before the sub was launched, Loibl says the bracket of the stabilisation tube - used to provide balance as the craft descends into the depths - fell off the vessel.

'That was reattached with zip ties. That didn't worry me,' he tells Bild.

German who paid OceanGate to see Titanic wreck in 2021 says he was 'incredibly lucky' to make it​

Shortly before the sub was launched, Loibl says the bracket of the stabilisation tube - used to provide balance as the craft descends into the depths - fell off the vessel.

'That was reattached with zip ties. That didn't worry me,' he tells Bild.

>With Loibl inside, the Titan travelled around the wreck twice and once even touched down on its deck, he said, before making the return journey.

That seems pretty sketch as hell, the entire wreck is not only corroding but being eaten away by iron oxidizing bacteria and they were landing the sub on the wreckage? That could easily cause something to collapse and disable/trap them.

It's still unclear if they even made it to the wreck though as their procedures would call for them to abandon the dive if they lost radio contact for a prolonged period of time and they lost contact around 30 minutes before they were supposed to reach the bottom at a normal descent rate. But I wonder if they continued anyway as they had issues with the comms in the past, in one person's video of their successful dive they lost contact and were about to turn back (literally began the process of dropping ballast) when it started working again.

If this was a common thing they could easily be baited into going a little longer without it and not turn back. Probably hard to say no to a billionaire "explorer" if he wants to go anyway, and I'm sure the CEO was viewing him as maybe a potential investor in his company. The bigger question is if they had repeated communication failures that were interrupting their dives (and potential revenue and reputation) why they didn't see that as a massive issue of not just safety but revenue generating ability. It seems like on other dives where they failed to spot the wreck they promised people could come on a future trip, too many promises like that is a one way trip to insolvency.

I keep hearing people say that if the thing got crushed there would have been very loud noises even audible to the ship on the surface but definitely picked up by ocean sound arrays. That's true for steel and other metal vessels but I'm not sure if anyone's even tested what noise a woven carbon fiber tube makes when it cracks under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom