• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TOYOTA 2AZ 4 CYLINDER ENGINE RANDOM EXCESSIVE OIL BURNING PROBLEM

Newer engines today mostly use 5 W 20 because the bearing /insert tolerances today are much tighter than they used to be. Thicker oils can actually hurt an engine because it can't circulate as well. Also most oil pumps now days are high volumn. That's why so many engines today have a 6 or 7 quart oil pan.

Newer engines today mostly use 5 W 20 because the bearing /insert tolerances today are much tighter than they used to be. Thicker oils can actually hurt an engine because it can't circulate as well. Also most oil pumps now days are high volumn. That's why so many engines today have a 6 or 7 quart oil pan.

I had noted that the mid 90's Mercedes M4 2.8L straight 6 engine had similar tight tolerances to the 70's Ford 351 Cleveland and Windsor engines which were tighter than most engines and did run higher oil pressures and the Mercedes engine did have a 7 quart oil pan. However, the Toyota engine allows much lower oil pressures with a wide range of tolerable pressures. I don't see their pumps being higher volume with lower pressures, which is why I have opted for a heavier oil to provide higher pressure and oil flow. Also what I found was that racing engines that use these really think oils have variable speed pumps. And Ford as investigated these variable speed pumps but don't know if they have used any yet.

Back
Top Bottom