• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota engines...

1clearshot

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
...can be killed. It takes some effort though. This one was driven long enough without coolant to steam erode a port into combustion chamber.

20200427_181920.jpg

In about 2002 I bought a 96 4runner that had some front end damage
And the water pump cover was damaged, it had a overhead cam so the water pump is where the cam would be and driven by the cam belt but it has a cover that looks like a normal pump with the pulley and mount for the fan

This part was like $500 at the stealership and I couldn’t find a used one
Everywhere I called said they don’t sell parts off good engines
One junkyard finally said , well we sold an engine to a guy and he never brought back his old engine for a core refund . Here’s his number, maybe he still has it and will sell you some parts

It took me at least 50 phone calls to find a Toyota engine that didn’t run
And when I called the guy turned out he had let his girlfriend drive his 4runner and she had called and said the transmission or something felt broken.
She had somehow shifted it into 4 low and gotten on the interstate and blown a rod out the side of the block

In about 2002 I bought a 96 4runner that had some front end damage
And the water pump cover was damaged, it had a overhead cam so the water pump is where the cam would be and driven by the cam belt but it has a cover that looks like a normal pump with the pulley and mount for the fan

This part was like $500 at the stealership and I couldn’t find a used one
Everywhere I called said they don’t sell parts off good engines
One junkyard finally said , well we sold an engine to a guy and he never brought back his old engine for a core refund . Here’s his number, maybe he still has it and will sell you some parts

It took me at least 50 phone calls to find a Toyota engine that didn’t run
And when I called the guy turned out he had let his girlfriend drive his 4runner and she had called and said the transmission or something felt broken.
She had somehow shifted it into 4 low and gotten on the interstate and blown a rod out the side of the block

Should have called me, I got bunch of fan brackets. ( better known as fake water pump )
Water pump is behind the fan bracket driven by the timing belt.

This is 3MZ-FE but 5VZ-FE is near identical in configuration.

20170524_152309.jpg

16V / 4 Cyl, the head is off of 2AZ-FE. I believe it had slow leak at the water pump, owner kept adding water into radiator lowering the boiling temperature. Metal head gasket held on as steam erode into #2 and #3 cyl.

Most repairable engine failures don't come to me. Ones that suffered catastrophic failures do.
Don't get to see too many normal overheated engines, often melted and seized.

20220330_184136.jpg

This one was bit painful, not the usual neglect and/ or abuse. Or end of service life.
2010 GX470 with 43k miles. Top end carbon removal service of some sort went horribly wrong. Liquid solvent filled intake plenum causing hydro lock. #3 rod exited the block, but not before destroying the head.

20220323_120434.jpg

20220405_181750.jpg

Back
Top Bottom