Tractor Help

Limiting yourself to 25hp is actually not a bad idea with newer tractors. Above that, nearly all of the newer tractors have computer controlled systems for emissions, and the evidence, so far, is that the emissions systems are the worst part of the reliability equation for new tractor owners. For the average hobbyist/non-farmer, any 25hp diesel tractor can get a huge amount of lifting, dragging and grunt work done.

If you are getting a smaller machine with a front end loader, 4wd is a must. You also want a transmission that makes it easy to change directions. Either hydrostatic or synchronized/shuttle shift. Plain old gear tractors are a chore to shift when the work you do involves changing directions and speeds frequently. Shifting is no big deal if you are tilling, plowing or cutting large, open spaces.

As previously mentioned, weight is important. More weight means more traction and stability. It makes the tractor safer and allows it to do more work.

Based on your description, the two classes of tractor you should be looking at are sub-compacts (Kubota BX, Mahindra eMax, Branson 1905, LS MT125, New Holland Workmaster 25S, Deere 1025E, among others), and compact tractors (Kubota B and L, Mahindra 15xx, Branson 2400 and 2510, New Holland Workmaster 30, Deere 2 series, and others).

There's a huge difference in capability between a 1500lb subcompact and a 2500lb compact. Unless the size (being able to squeeze into tight spots) or price is a deal breaker, better off with a compact. For a homeowner with an acre or two who wants to use the same machine to cut the grass and move some mulch or dirt around, a subcompact is a great idea. If you have some land and have larger chores in mind, compact makes more sense.

Don't be afraid of older machines with the right features if they have been reasonably cared for. My tractor is a Yanmar 2210 2WD, built in 1979, refurbished by Frederick Outdoors (Alabama) in 2011. It's been an amazing workhorse for me. I've replaced the starter solenoid. That's the total of my repairs in eight years. If it had a front-end loader and 4WD, I'd probably never need another tractor, but I'm in the market myself; I now need a front end loader and better traction with heavy loads for the work I want to do.

Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

Reactions: GFB
IMO, you will search high and low for the right tractor for the right price. Most are beat to death OR overpriced. Many times BOTH! With the price of a brand new JD, you might be better off with one. Plus the good financing rates. I have a 970 model w/bucket and 4x4. Don't skimp on not getting 4x4. Lighter tractors NEED 4x4. Also with ag tires you'll not do damage to grass but wish you had aggressive tires when digging dirt. Ask me how I know. I've owned BOTH.

For the backhoe, i'd NOT get one unless you will use it alot. Much easier and cheaper just to go to home depot and rent their mini excavators for less than $200-ish a day. Plus they work 10x faster and easier. I own one, I know.
Remember, a backhoe on a tractor can only dig a hole, you'll be constantly getting off the backhoe and moving the tractor if you want to dig a trench. Better than a shovel, but total PITA.

Just my 2 peso's here guys.

Back
Top Bottom