• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trail camera / buck movement survey

I’ve never personally brought in a good buck using any sort of scent. For me it’s always had the opposite effect, even during rut. I quit using scents about 5 years ago and have killed a lot more deer.
Same. Except the part about not using them anymore. :lol: I keep trying thinking one day I'm going to find one that works.

I’ve never personally brought in a good buck using any sort of scent. For me it’s always had the opposite effect, even during rut. I quit using scents about 5 years ago and have killed a lot more deer.
I got this guy using nose jammer.
I love this stuff BUT….disclaimer due to trial and error…..for myself anyways.
In my experience with this stuff is it works like a champ the first time you use it but if you keep saturating the area the deer tend to avoid it.
I had good luck with a mature doe stopping for a sniff on a tree I sprayed.
And I took a decent 8 point with it the first time I used it at one of my ladders, and of course the young bucks are always curious…..I took this really dark, big bodied spike using nose jammer.

Another “scent” that I’ve used to bring in curious bucks is crushed persimmon.
I’ve sprinkled it on my boots and even sprinkled a light trail going to my ladder and had a buck follow the sound of my footsteps and as soon as I say on my ladder he came walking towards me nose to ground and came right to my ladder and looked right up at me but didn’t get spooked.
Unfortunately I was tagged out on bucks and he was a giant 6 point that I had been after .

I still use tinks but mostly for cover scent in a triangular pattern 30 yards in all directions from my stand.

Don’t forget grunt and bleat calls can be just if not more effective….and also through trial and error I had incredible luck running to my ladder and getting up it as fast as possible only to sit and hear curious deer in the distance running towards me……try it…..it works.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.jpeg
    IMG_4325.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0743.jpeg
    IMG_0743.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 8
Just walked out the front door, had a fat 6 point and smaller 4 pointer eating out of our hurricane damage brush pile at the end of the driveway. Wandered off before I could get pix.

I got this guy using nose jammer.
I love this stuff BUT….disclaimer due to trial and error…..for myself anyways.
In my experience with this stuff is it works like a champ the first time you use it but if you keep saturating the area the deer tend to avoid it.
I had good luck with a mature doe stopping for a sniff on a tree I sprayed.
And I took a decent 8 point with it the first time I used it at one of my ladders, and of course the young bucks are always curious…..I took this really dark, big bodied spike using nose jammer.

Another “scent” that I’ve used to bring in curious bucks is crushed persimmon.
I’ve sprinkled it on my boots and even sprinkled a light trail going to my ladder and had a buck follow the sound of my footsteps and as soon as I say on my ladder he came walking towards me nose to ground and came right to my ladder and looked right up at me but didn’t get spooked.
Unfortunately I was tagged out on bucks and he was a giant 6 point that I had been after .

I still use tinks but mostly for cover scent in a triangular pattern 30 yards in all directions from my stand.

Don’t forget grunt and bleat calls can be just if not more effective….and also through trial and error I had incredible luck running to my ladder and getting up it as fast as possible only to sit and hear curious deer in the distance running towards me……try it…..it works.
Agreed, I use that nose jammer every time before I walk in the woods. I've never seen it draw them in but I have seen it cover my scent a ton of time's. And as for grunt calls it stays around my neck. The biggest buck I've killed was grunting in a doe that he was chasing. I've pulled many deer into bow range using it. Never had any luck with bleat cans but I keep trying every year. :pound:

Agreed, I use that nose jammer every time before I walk in the woods. I've never seen it draw them in but I have seen it cover my scent a ton of time's. And as for grunt calls it stays around my neck. The biggest buck I've killed was grunting in a doe that he was chasing. I've pulled many deer into bow range using it. Never had any luck with bleat cans but I keep trying every year. :pound:
Yeah I started using that nose jammer since the day you were talking about it here.
I had good luck with bleat calls only after all the leaves drop.
I called in a monster buck with a bleat call on a super windy day in Chattahoochee national forest.
My tree was moving 4’ side to side and on a break in the wind I left out a single bleat.
Within a minute I saw a monster 10 point coming up a steep slope.
He was super sneaky and only moved when the wind blew and would either lay down or hide his vitals behind a large tree when the wind stopped.
No wonder he was so big.
He never gave me a shot with my archery equipment.
One other time I let out two quick bleats in early November and two 8 points came running at me.
One stopped 5 yards in front of me while the other veered onto a lower path and stopped further away.
I busted the closer one obviously.
I’ve had immature bucks and does respond to bleat calls as well but Ive had better luck with bleat calls than I have with grunt calls.
But I like to bleat when running to my stand to spark their curiosity…..it works.

I hunt in 2 counties. Walton and Greene. Got a big batchelor group of bucks running in Walton with at least 2 shooters. I have one shooter in Greene that hangs at my feeder all the time. He was there at lunch for 30 minutes and at 3:00 this evening for 30 minutes. We gonna see what happens this weekend

I was thinking about trying to get out for opening day of archery, but ALL of the bucks I was getting pics of all year completely disappeared the last 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom