• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trail camera / buck movement survey

I've only got 1 cam set up for now, but I haven't seen any bucks at it yet. I have seen a few fawns, and a piebald, the second one I've seen in my life, and both were a stones throw from my house.

Nice studies and indeed interesting. Had no idea there were Deer Laboratories. Further reading...

You can throw all the sex scent you want out and the bucks will ignore until the biology kicks in and the rut ramps up.
And usually the immature bucks are the most curious.
I’ve never personally brought in a good buck using any sort of scent. For me it’s always had the opposite effect, even during rut. I quit using scents about 5 years ago and have killed a lot more deer.

I’ve never personally brought in a good buck using any sort of scent. For me it’s always had the opposite effect, even during rut. I quit using scents about 5 years ago and have killed a lot more deer.
I started using scent a long time ago. Back in the day when the only thing Tink's were selling was tiny bottles. I'd drop a bit on my boots before I walked in. I remember watching one buck come running in at full tilt, and coming to a screeching halt and sniffing the air when he hit where I put it on. I got him with his nose on the ground. I didn't believe in calls though until I just decided to try one of the Primos can calls. In the last 4 years of hunting here, I'll bet I've brought in more deer than I've seen in my life, so now I use them with the spray Tink's that I shoot into thee wind. I'm also hooked on mock scrapes. I haven't shot any deer yet by them, but a cam I keep on them tells me they've been there. Also, last season I brought in a nice buck when I was walking to my stand. I heard one blow, didn't see him, and I started shaking a small tree. I left the spot too soon, and only caught a glimpse of him running away, but I'll be doing more of that this year.

Back
Top Bottom