• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Training classes and where to get them?

For hand to hand stuff, I've heard that BJJ is really good stuff. I've got plans to start classes somewhere in the near future.

For a shorter term class, ECQC is highly recommended: https://shivworks.com/extreme-close-quarter-concepts/
I’ve been wanting to take a class with Craig for a while. I’ll have to try to do that this year hopefully.

I would love to train and be more familiar in hand to hand or starting hand to hand and breaking contact to free a firearm.

Do you know of classes that do hand to hand training that is a 1 day class or a weekend long class?

All skills require regular practice. A lot of firearms classes are able to be a 1-3 day class because they’re effectively teaching you techniques to continue to practice on your own. With most martial arts, you don’t have that luxury. You usually need a partner to effectively train and perfect technique. That means it’s much better to get an actual membership somewhere and train regularly. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t attend seminars, or cool classes. It just won’t be effective without the regular training to compliment it.

I train both BJJ and Muay Thai. They’re both lifelong endeavors to truly perfect, so the sooner you start the better!

I’m ready for everyone at my gym to stop getting sick so I can get back to regular training :whistle:

I would love to train and be more familiar in hand to hand or starting hand to hand and breaking contact to free a firearm.

Do you know of classes that do hand to hand training that is a 1 day class or a weekend long class?

One of my Instructors offers a class called Close Personal Protective Measures. It’s a hand-to-hand course for folks that carry a gun. It includes knife defense.

Over the last ~15 years I have attended a fair number of classes, so I have a decent foundation to provide recommendations. Following list is trainers I recommend without reservation.

Best trainer to get gun manipulation and fundamentals is Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics. He holds classes in Lakeland FL area.

Shiv works Craig Douglas. All of it is good, some hurts more than others. A lot of it is verbal, situational, and combatives. I have witnessed a lot of straight “gun guys” that are out of shape have to quit classes early. Very rewarding but not just shooting. Get firearm fundamentals somewhere else first.

Rogers shooting school, the most ridiculous speed requirements you will encounter anywhere. Do not attend until you are competent with strong hand only and support hand only reloads and shooting on the clock. Need to be able to hit a steel plate at 20 yards on demand out if holster in less than 1.5 sec or you will drown.

Tom Givens, all good.
Earnest Langdon
Scott Reitz

Local trainers that are good.
Lee Weems
Complete combatant (not attended personally yet but on list soon)

others I want to try:

sage dynamics
Warrior poet, (i have done a NV class with John before)
Clint Smith

Back
Top Bottom