• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Training with Dummy Ammo: Real Life Lesson to avoid

WMSproject

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
When I was training my wife (First Wife) to shoot, I bought her some snap caps so she could practice loading, unloading, clearing jamz, working the slide, dry firing, etc.

One day she needed to shoot a dog that was attacking our dog. She pulled her pistol out of her purse, racked the slide to load a round and fired. She missed the first shot so she racked the slide again, slinging the live round that was already in the chamber into the grass. By the time she was ready to fire the second (er... third) round from the pistol, the bad dog had run around the corner of the house and was gone.

Why am I telling this story? She had trained so much with the snap caps and manually shifted each round into the chamber so many times that she had developed muscle memory in this order:

Put mag in pistol
Rack the slide
Pull the trigger
Rack the slide
Pull the trigger
Rack the slide
Pull the trigger

What she had effectively done was take a 16 round pistol and reduce it to 8 shots by manually ejecting every other round. She never knew what she had done either. When I came home she told me about the shooting. I decided to reload her magazine for her later. A round was missing. I asked her how many shots she fired and she said, only 1. There were two missing. I had her take me to where she fired the shot. Sure enough, I found the spent casing and a loaded round laying in the grass.

While Dry fire techniques with dummy rounds can be handy to get the feel of the action, once you get it down, switch to live ammo and never look back. Get the feel of live ammo and develop good habits!

Last edited:
Reminds me of the FBI miami shootout. Some of the dead FBI agents were found with their pockets full of empty .38 shell casings, because thats how they trained on the range. Muscle memory is more important than most people think.

The only time I use snap caps is when I do dud round drills. I have someone else put a random snapcap in the mag. That way its reflex to quickly clear it. Other than that snap caps have no real use to be. Glad she is ok.

Reminds me of the FBI miami shootout. Some of the dead FBI agents were found with their pockets full of empty .38 shell casings, because thats how they trained on the range. Muscle memory is more important than most people think.

I think you have your anecdotes confused. None of the agents killed in the 1986 shootout were found with casings in their pockets. In fact, the two agents killed in that incident were both carrying S&W 9mm semi auto pistols.

There is some anecdotal evidence about a CHP officer killed and having empty brass in his pocket back during the "Newhall Massacre" in 1970, in fact I remember hearing that at the academy over 20 years ago. Apparently this info is incorrect however.

Regardless, you make a good point about the importance of muscle memory.

"As you train, so shall you fight"

Back
Top Bottom