• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trajectory mysteries.

That's what I'm thinking, too.
Bear with me here, as ballistics is not my area, but have you tried changing any of the parameters or info to see if anything brings the 300 yard calculation back to reality?

If there's a math error on the program it might be in the 300 yard calculation, or if could be related to a different piece of info. Also, are there possibly any program updates that you don't have?

The software is trying to tell you that 300 yards is the .40 S&W of rifle shooting. It's not close, but it's not really far. Clearly you're better off shooting closer or farther, just not in the middle. In the event the trophy is at 300 yards, just walk another 300 yards away. Problem solved.

Bear with me here, as ballistics is not my area, but have you tried changing any of the parameters or info to see if anything brings the 300 yard calculation back to reality?

If there's a math error on the program it might be in the 300 yard calculation, or if could be related to a different piece of info. Also, are there possibly any program updates that you don't have?
No updates available, but a good thought.

I have changed both BC and MV, but if the 300 becomes correct, the 600 is then way out.

The software is trying to tell you that 300 yards is the .40 S&W of rifle shooting. It's not close, but it's not really far. Clearly you're better off shooting closer or farther, just not in the middle. In the event the trophy is at 300 yards, just walk another 300 yards away. Problem solved.
Good plan!

No updates available, but a good thought.

I have changed both BC and MV, but if the 300 becomes correct, the 600 is then way out.

I'm assuming you measured height over bore correctly?

I don't use them much but ballistics calculators are always wrong in my experience. They can get me on paper, but I never trust them.

I'm assuming you measured height over bore correctly?

I don't use them much but ballistics calculators are always wrong in my experience. They can get me on paper, but I never trust them.
Oh yes and I agree they are seldom correct initially, but again, why would it be on at 600? Also, this particular program has been shown to be very reliable once a few tweaks have been made to BC and MV of the load.

Back
Top Bottom