Traveling cross country with firearms in the car

Thunderhorse1971

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
8   0
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Here's my situation. I was born and raised in Georgia along with both sides of my family as far back as anyone can remember but it's time to go. My wife and I have both accepted job offers in Utah and will be moving the second week in March. It's a lifestyle choice and the politics agree with us.

We are going to hire a company to pack and move all of our stuff but we will be driving to Salt Lake City with the stuff we don't trust them to transport for us. Specifically, I plan on driving out with two Colt ARs, a Glock and a 1911 in the car with us. Can anyone think of any legal reason I can't do that if I keep everything packed away unloaded and separate from my ammo?

I looked at Georgia's reciprocity CCW map and I can drive all the way there through states that honor Georgia's permit so by my logic, I should be good but I get paranoid; especially in today's environment. I kind of hate to go check the laws of every state I plan on driving through but if that's my only recourse then it is what it is I guess.

I'd love to hear from some LEOs out there. I appreciate the help and advice!

Fun Fact: Utah honors the concealed carry permit from every other state that has one!

Here is my answer do it if you get pulled over refuse the search as that's your right if they even ask now asuming you don't have drugs let the dogs come that's what I did on the way here when I moved.

Here is my answer do it if you get pulled over refuse the search as that's your right if they even ask now asuming you don't have drugs let the dogs come that's what I did on the way here when I moved.

If in doubt, a traveler should carry firearms unloaded, locked in a case, and stored in an area (such as a trunk or attached toolbox) where they are inaccessible from a vehicle’s passenger compartment and not visible from outside the vehicle. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate locked container.

Great link. That's what I found when I moved long ago. Keep everything separate and you should be fine. There's probably only a handful of places you'd have to worry about anything anyway. When you stay overnight on the trip, I wouldn't pick a big city.

Not only would I check the laws of the individual states, I would call the State Trooper headquarters in eachs state you will be passing through and tell them your situation. Ask if there are any stipulations like keeping them locked and inaccesible, and so forth. Get the officers badge number and name. It will only take 30 minutes and could prvent loads of legal issues if you have to deal with cops that don't know the law. Ask me how I know.

I'd also bring a copy of the law for the state. It might sound like overkill, but I have a long story that proves otherwise.

First, assuming your not a felon, then carry them with you. Don't travel long distance without at least one loaded weapon in your vehicle (for your protection). Have the receipts showing that you are the legal owner of the weapons with you (which you said you were taking your valuables, etc with you). If by chance, your stopped by an officer and he asks if you have weapons in your vehicle, Tell him "Yes" and explain your situation if he asks. Other wise, don't mention it. There will be no reason for an officer to search your vehicle, unless he suspects you are carrying contraband or you have broken the law. Don't drive over 10 mph over the speed limit going that way on the interstate and you will probably not meet any LEO's. Your vehicle is like your home on wheels. Good luck, travel safely. Utah is alot different living that Georgia,

First, assuming your not a felon, then carry them with you. Don't travel long distance without at least one loaded weapon in your vehicle (for your protection). Have the receipts showing that you are the legal owner of the weapons with you (which you said you were taking your valuables, etc with you). If by chance, your stopped by an officer and he asks if you have weapons in your vehicle, Tell him "Yes" and explain your situation if he asks. Other wise, don't mention it. There will be no reason for an officer to search your vehicle, unless he suspects you are carrying contraband or you have broken the law. Don't drive over 10 mph over the speed limit going that way on the interstate and you will probably not meet any LEO's. Your vehicle is like your home on wheels. Good luck, travel safely. Utah is alot different living that Georgia,

Terrible advice, and it could get you thrown into jail in some circumstances. Some states require you to tell the officer if you are carrying. If you have a ccw, you'd better damn well believe they are going to know about it. There is no need for receipts to prove you own a gun, that might be the case in the movies but not in real life. Call ahead, know the individual state's laws and obey them.

First, assuming your not a felon, then carry them with you. Don't travel long distance without at least one loaded weapon in your vehicle (for your protection). Have the receipts showing that you are the legal owner of the weapons with you (which you said you were taking your valuables, etc with you)...

By that logic, you should also have receipts for all the jewelry, clothes, electronics, etc also.

It's unnecessary and actually impossible for some of us ;)

update:
Call ahead, know the individual state's laws and obey them.

The problem with that is that there can be county and city ordinances also. Great advice to check on the laws you can find, but the "locked and separated" plan pretty much covers everything.

Last edited:
I just read through the FOPA rules and it looks like I should be good. I really appreciate that link!

There are special rules for some states like NY, CT, MD, etc. Basically the ones that are already unfriendly to gun owners. I'll be traveling through Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and then into Utah. All of those states honor Georgia's concealed carry permit.

I think I may call ahead to all the State Patrol offices just to ask if there are any special rules but that's probably about as far as I'll take it. I'll be in a 4 door Ford Escape so that doesn't really stand out and I don't really speed so I feel better about it now.

Thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom