Trout fishing in Helen

You can fish the Chatt right there in the middle of Helen. Or you can go up above Helen to the National Forest and fish the Chatt there. Just use an Ultralight and stop by Bass Pro and get some salmon eggs. Use a hook and an egg and let it float down stream.

Last summer we did a tube trip through Helen and passed many fisherman using ultralight spinning gear tossing tiny inline spinners. Looks like they had good success despite the multitude of tubers going down the river, but most of the trout I saw were not much bigger than the spinner :)

#1 go to rig Ulgy stick ultralight, Micro Penn open face 6lb test flora carbon line, and Rooster tails both gold spinner and chrome with a yellow brown tail..

No tips on the fishing here.... but I was riding through there last weekend and got 'near' helen and traffic was FUBAR. We rolled up about 3:00 p.m. and it took over an hour to get from one side of Helen to the other. Absolute maddening grid lock. At least the cars had A/C. Had to pull over for about 20 minutes to let my air cooled DR650 cool off. Hit 375 degrees at the head.

So... long story short... I would get up there hella, hella, hella early or pack an extra suitcase full of patience.

also... the tubing industry is in full swing up there. When we passed the bridge in the center of helen, the tubes were "shoulder-to-shoulder" packed in as far as I could see. If you are lucky, you may be able to hook a redneck hottie on the right bait

Back
Top Bottom