Troy Low pro gas block roll pin

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
So I got my troy low pro gas block, but my roll pin just wouldn't fit in it and eventually broke once it started to go in it. I called Veriforce Tactical who supplied the gas tube and roll pin and they essentially said the Troys are just tough because they are steel and you just need to give it more force. Well more force broke the damn thing. I am using dimpled punches.

So is their gas tube roll pin just too large? or is the troy hole to small? I've never had this happen on any of my other low pro gas blocks before, but I think I've used YHM in the past.

You can see how the roll pin was marring up the hole in the gas block
i.imgur.com_EcxRqhl.jpg

Sad broken roll pin
i.imgur.com_X7YbhZj.jpg

Preview of the 7.62x39 upper
[Broken External Image]:

Anyone got a roll pin I could use?

Use a drill bit to clean the hole first. I also squeeze one end of the roll pin first just so it will start a little easier. Also, try just a smudge of grease as well.

My bet is on cleaning the hole with a bit though. Makes the install much smoother. I have a roll pin you can have, but we seem to be quite a ways apart for a $1 pin! Lol

Also, by looking at your roll pin it's WAY to spread open(yes, that's what she said) You should only have a small gap between where it almost touches.

I put a troy low pro on my 7 1/2 inch build too. It was a pain to get started but I managed not to break it getting it in. It did take some profanity and a good bit of time getting that b*** started.

Ok, just measured mine and the actual out of the bag diameter is .085"D x .314"L. My gas block roll pin hole size measures .075" on one side and .078" on the other O_o (Hints why I clean them with a drill bit...lol).

If your hole is actually a bit smaller, I think either of these 2 would work (1/16 x 3/8). Looks like 1/4 would be a bit short.

McMaster Carr # 97855A120
McMaster Carr # 92383A104

Of course, I think cleaning the hole, closing one end up just a tad with some jewelry pliers, and a tiny dab of grease would make the GI size pin work just fine.

I also found that starting them with the gas block in a vice vs on the barrel makes it much easier too! I use the free vinyl floor samples from Home Depot to hold it so the vice doesn't chew the block up. Of course I only clamp it just hard enough so it doesn't move and not to crush/deform it.

Lax, it would really help to use a roll pin starter like the one from Geissele. Send me your address, I think I've got a box full of the roll pins.

Back
Top Bottom