• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

trying a new .308 configuration?

mkdhotrod

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
145   4
Reaction score
IMR 4064 39gr
Brass LC Casings
Wolf Large Rifle Primer
Hornady A-Max 170gr

Any have experience with something similar? Hornady manual lists FPS around 2300 with overpressure at 42gr

Attachments

• 20140810_010625_resized.jpg
    20140810_010625_resized.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Are you looking to use these for target shooting only?

Accuracy wise, it could all depend on far the bullet is seated from the lands, or if your gun likes that amount of powder. It's a trial by error when it comes to loading to find the right recipe. I tend to load up lot's of four in 1 gr increments to see which load shoots the best. Once I see which one shoots the smallest group I will stick with that or adjust it by half a grain to see if that will shrink it some more then adjust seating depth. From my experience, guns more or less shoot better when loaded closer to max than the starting point. But that isn't the rule of thumb to go on, each gun is different on what it likes to eat.

I'm not an expert on this, but this is what i've learned from reloading myself so far.

Last edited:
Are you looking to use these for target shooting only?

Accuracy wise, it could all depend on far the bullet is seated from the lands, or if your gun likes that amount of powder. It's a trial by error when it comes to loading to find the right recipe. I tend to load up lot's of 4 in 1 gr increments to see which load shoots the best. Once I see which one shoots the smallest group I will stick with that or adjust it by half a grain to see if that will shrink it some more then adjust seating depth. From my experience, guns more or less shoot better when loaded closer to max than the starting point. But that isn't the rule of thumb to go on, each gun is different on what it likes to eat.

I'm not an expert on this, but this is what i've learned from reloading myself so far.
Im wanting to use these rounds for ranges out to 800 yards, If I can find a range. But I haven't ran these through the bolt action yet. Im starting these as a baseline to see if I need to increase powder or decrease the bullet mass. I really need a range here thats 200+. or make friends with someone.

There's Creekside Firing Range close to where I live that with membership has 300 & 500 yd ranges.
http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com/

Also, there is one a little south of Atlanta that has a 1,000 yard range i think, but I can't remember the name of it.

You should be ok for that weight of bullet, but there is a few bullets that will keep the ballistic coefficient up & raise the velocity; the 155 gr Matchking Palmer @ .504 & 155 gr Lapua Scenar @ .508 should work well for target use.

Last edited:
what rifle? what twist barrel? 2300 is stupid slow for a 308 unless you are talking an ultra short barrel. I personally would start in the middle and work your way up in .3 grain increments. one bullet per load and when you see a tight group say 41.2, 40.9, 40.6 make your load the middle one. I used to do a whole bunch of batches to find my nodes but lucky for me I was shown a faster and cheaper method. 20 minutes at the range max.

Well Hornady's book places the A Max 170gr in the red at 39.0 grains out of a M1A with certain powders, IMR 4064 being one of those powders, however out of a winchestor 70, the load can go up to 42gr at 2400 FPS. I have both a Bolt Action and M1A, So Im going to see what kind of MOA I can get.

I use 44.1 under a 178amax seated to the lands. Makes my aacsd very capable. I've shot the load to 1k with no issues. If range is your game you need to find the best node at the highest velocity possible.

I use 44.1 under a 178amax seated to the lands. Makes my aacsd very capable. I've shot the load to 1k with no issues. If range is your game you need to find the best node at the highest velocity possible.
was it with 4064? That 5 solid grains above my load. whats the FPS with that?

Back
Top Bottom