• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

trying a new .308 configuration?

out of a M1a try Accurate 2520 I had good luck with it.
Ill grab a bottle if I can find it in stock. But the EBR only has the 16inch barrel, whereas my howa bolt gun has a 22inch barrel. I was going to shoot ten out of each and see the results, but like I said, the only ranges I currently have access to are 100 yards

Not saying that it's best for 1k shots, but everything I have read indicates that most USA based firearms manufacturers use the 168GR Match load as their yardstick for manufacturing ... Kinda like Chocolate Ice Cream and kids ... If a kid doesn't like it, there's something odd about that particular kid.

If a (stock) rifle can't perform at it's best with the match load ... Well, something is out-of-whack!

If you're trying a new powder and bullet powder, you need to look at something like a ladder test, ocw test or loading up several rounds at various powder amounts and then try them at the the range. Loading ten of the starting amount is not going to get you anywhere to potential for accuracy or velocity, at least quickly.

As a some start, load up 3 or 5 rounds of different grain weights from the starting weight until the maximum load + up to a grain and a half over max (depending on powder, volume, burn rate me tetchy). I usually do this in either .3 or .5 grain increments depending on what I'm trying to achieve. Also, since it is for a gas gun load as long as possible for the magazine (a few thousandths off of the max internal oal of the magazine).

Try each load out, examine the brass and the potential accuracy. You'll find out what's good and not good regarding pressure by looking at the brass. Then you can take into account if any of the groups were decent. Once you have some better working parameters you can fine tune the powder amount, oal, etc and do some more testing for max accuracy out of the powder and bullet combo.

Back
Top Bottom