Type 53 Refinish Update

So I'm done for now - I've become a bit less detail oriented now that I have decided to keep this forever instead of turning around and selling it - otherwise I would take more time with the metal. Anyway, here is a completed quick pic - lighting sucks but I'll get more detailed later:

i46.tinypic.com_f2j9c2.jpg

I have a couple questions for you Mosin experts out there (I'm talking to you alleycat) --> look at the pic below. I know the yellow tips are heavy ball, the silver light ball, what is the all brass looking stuff? I've seen the full copper washed stuff but not this shiny brass.

i48.tinypic.com_ay7z91.jpg

ALSO, once I reassembled the rifle and inserted the bolt, I tried cocking and dry firing to make sure it worked. It doesn't. I have to pull the trigger to insert the bolt, no problem there. The bolt slides smoothly back and forth in the receiver. I lock the bolt down, no problem since it is not cocked because the trigger was pulled while assembling. I turn the bult upwards, drag it back simulating loading a cartridge, slide it forward, go to lock it and it gets blocked half way. It's like solid metal hitting solid metal... I can't force it down and it's not just hard, it is physically incapable of locking back down unless I pull the trigger while turning it down to engage the trigger mechanism preventing it from cocking at all. The trigger assembly was installed correctly as far as I can tell, there isn't much to screw up there and it is a smooth pull - the mechanisms seem to function fine. So, any thoughts? I DID get it to function properly once by pulling BACK on the bolt as hard as I could as I tried to force it down. I didn't take away any material on any metal besides mildly sanding off rust and old blueing. I never took out the ejector spring or interrupter throughout the process, the only thing I removed from the barrel/receiver assembly was the trigger (which is a simple 1 pin and 1 screw).

Anyway, all insight is appreciated!

Edit: And a big thanks to ALLEYCAT for donating - yes DONATING the vast majority of that ammo! Also, thanks to SOLD7/MARTIAN for selling me the balance at an awesome price!

Last edited:
Sorry man, I've been out of town. 1. That's non surplus ammo, prob made by pro partisan. Hard to tell e/o seeing the head stamp. 2. The issue is most certainly the ejector spring is bent or the ejector itself is damaged. I'f its damaged, it's usually because the headspace wasn't correct and it got in a bind . Be glad to take a look at it and fix it for you the next time you're near my part of the county.

Back
Top Bottom