• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Upper lapping

Megawolf

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
161   0
Reaction score
I want to build my 1st upper and not just assemble it.

I believe i want to lap my upper. Of course without sophisticated tools to check how square and flat it is in relation to the barrel & nut i performed some professional redneck engineering. I painted a piece of glass black on one side, put my upper flat on the other side of it and shined a light down the inside. I was looking for uniformity but didn't see it....so I'm thinking lapping is a good idea. I already own one baby whose windage adjustments are too far to the side so I'm thinking ill use it at least twice.

Do i put compound on the glass and hope to keep it square or get a lapping tool? If i go the lapping tool I hope the Brownell version is a good one because I'm too impatient to wait 6 weeks for a run of the Pacific Tool & Gauge. What do y'all think? Brownells or go PTG?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...15-lapping-tool-sku080000182-20220-44377.aspx

p_080000182_1.jpg

The lapping tool from wheeler engineering works great, I use it on all of my builds. Its affordable and you can pick one up at cabelas if your in the area. Save time and a little money on shipping.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

I’ve used Brownells lapping tool and compound for several years and does a great job! Also they include great instructions with it !

The lapping tool from wheeler engineering works great, I use it on all of my builds. Its affordable and you can pick one up at cabelas if your in the area. Save time and a little money on shipping.

Its pretty much the same thing brownells is offering, comes with instructions and lapping compound too.

I want to build my 1st upper and not just assemble it.

I believe i want to lap my upper. Of course without sophisticated tools to check how square and flat it is in relation to the barrel & nut i performed some professional redneck engineering. I painted a piece of glass black on one side, put my upper flat on the other side of it and shined a light down the inside. I was looking for uniformity but didn't see it....so I'm thinking lapping is a good idea. I already own one baby whose windage adjustments are too far to the side so I'm thinking ill use it at least twice.

Do i put compound on the glass and hope to keep it square or get a lapping tool? If i go the lapping tool I hope the Brownell version is a good one because I'm too impatient to wait 6 weeks for a run of the Pacific Tool & Gauge. What do y'all think? Brownells or go PTG?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...15-lapping-tool-sku080000182-20220-44377.aspx

View attachment 2027703
cmshoot cmshoot

Back
Top Bottom