• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Used car prices in 2024

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I was just sitting here watching the news and they're saying that the 2024 supposed to be a decent year for used car sales again. In 2023 a lady said she paid a third of what she bought her house for for a minivan. And I believe it the prices of used cars were through the roof and you couldn't find anything worth the darn good to buy. Even high mileage 10-year-old vehicles were selling for record prices and being in the used business and being a car salesman before I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. The prices of older high mileage cars were astronomical and I thought I would never see that day.

Well for 2024 used car prices are supposed to level out and the inventory is supposed to be increased. Also for new cars deal actually manufactures are offering incentives $130% more than previous years. This information here is what really got me. They said " They average cost for a new car would be $47,000 and the average cost of a used car would be $26,000. ". People if I'm hearing that right 26,000 for a used car is absolutely nuts. You could buy a real nice new minivan in 2002 for $26,000. You can buy a new Jeep for 26,000. And you could buy a real nice used Mercedes-Benz for $26,000 in 2002 or a Dodge Dakota. That reminds me of what I paid for my brand new Mustang GT for my 21st birthday in 1987. My parents didn't buy it for me but they did cosign for me and that car was $12,725 tax, tag and title, out the door. I just cannot believe how much cars have gone up over the years. We are at the point now where a used car is more than twice the price of a brand new car was in 1987. Just sit and think about that for a minute, that's ungodly!

Rental car companies sell their vehicles just before they go out of warranty. Got my daughter a '21 Jeep Compass Trailhawk with 40k miles for $21K
Yeah we used to get a lot of Sebrings from rental car companies we call them program cars. They would dump them just before the warranty I think maybe just before 30,000 something like that.

That’s it. I’m going to sell my Sunday Courten car.

IMG_3754.jpeg

I think it is smart to spend money maintaining and repairing the quality rust free vehicle you currently own than it is to replace it with a ridiculously expensive new or new to you used vehicle.

Toyota built their reputation on making vehicles that were far more reliable and durable than the competition, so it always struck me as odd when the sales manager would offer me a new vehicle to test drive while my old Toyota was in for factory recommended service. I am already sold on Toyota reliability and durability, so the smart thing for the sales manager to do is use my long term experience as a testimonial to convince other people to trade in their non-Toyota brand for a new or used Toyota and not try and move me into a newer vehicle.

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom