Using 45 ACP Mags for 10mm 1911

No I am just saying just get good quality mags to begin with and you are less likely to have issues. Not all 10mm's will act up with lesser expensive brands. I have several 1911's and I have notice that with Wilson Combat mags I have a lot less feed and eject problems. When it comes to 10mm mags good quality mags can make a world of difference. A lot of the feed issues depends on the make of the gun. I have a 45 ACP's that will chew up what ever ammo you feed it and do with any mag you slap up in it. However with my 10mm that is not the case. That is why I recommended to just bite the bullet and purchase the superior mags to begin with. My first post was just talking about the 10mm cartridge only.

I have used Wilson Combat mags for many years in 1911 45ACP's. My experience is they work great. But when I look at the Wilson Combat mag reviews for 10mm they get hammered. Is that what you use for 10mm 1911's?

I have used Wilson Combat mags for many years in 1911 45ACP's. My experience is they work great. But when I look at the Wilson Combat mag reviews for 10mm they get hammered. Is that what you use for 10mm 1911's?
It's what works in mine. The factory mags I got and a couple Mec Gar mags I got off a member on this site don't work worth a damn. Chip Mc cormik mags are good as well. With a 10mm you just have to try out several different good brands. I used Wilson Combat mags for reference becuase they solved my problems but that doesn't mean they will work in a different one. It's a crap shoot with a 10mm. I am not trying to come off as the know of 10mm's but I had to try the factory mags, several I bought off member here and a few my friends had before I found out that the Wilson Combat mags work well with my gun. The moral of the story from the beginning was don't buy **** mags and expect precise results. I have replaced my mag release and a few other mods to improve reliability but the Wilson Combat mags went a long way in solving my problems. I plan on trying a few other brands just to see how the work in my gun as well. I will post results when I get them. I have to get through this AR build I am in the middle of before I get to that. I will do a comparison write up on 10mm mags after I try a few more just for the sake of future 10mm buyers. There is definitly a problem with the 10mm platform or we wouldn't be having this conversation. My slide would lock back on the second from the last round every time with every mag I tried except for WC mags.

Ruger seems to think so, as their new 10mm ships with mags stamped "45ACP".

Not sure where you saw that.... the ones that came with my SR1911 10mm are stamped "10mm".

They also have a different follower (curved instead of flat) and the feed lips are definitely different from the Ruger 45ACP mags.

Just for grins I did try the 45 mag with 10mm and it did work, but you can see that the feed lips are just barely hanging on to the round. I would expect problems sooner or later doing this.

I've got about 250 rounds through the gun now, and so far the stock Ruger mag has been working flawlessly. Since it only comes with (1) I'll probably wait until there's another sale on ShopRuger and get a couple more from there.

Back
Top Bottom