VA in Decatur

My vet BIL was diagnosed with ALS and he has been declining RAPIDLY. The VA is dreadfully slow, and they literally can't keep pace. My wife and I are having to take care of him 5 days a week since he can barely get around with a walker. He is "eligible" for alot of care, but the process to get access is so slow that he outpaces everything they try and do. It is truly pathetic. So far:

Promises to help, then no return calls
Broken appointments from contractors with no call
Wait weeks to months to get appointments to see Dr's
3 Separate evaluations for 3 different services
Each evaluation takes weeks to schedule, then weeks to get the reports entered, then weeks to fulfill, then he has declined beyond that need by the time they are ready to fulfill the service.

He will be in hospice by the time they get a few hours of home health care approved.

Call your congressman. He will be dead before they help him if you dont. Cases like his need some personal attention. I wish him the best but damn. ALS is a ****er.

I go at least twice a month.....the last few months it was more. Wrist break, audio for me hearing aids, and my PCP checkup. The key to going to the main campus is, if you can, schedule your appointments after 11:30am or early early am...the 9am to about 10:30am window is brutal for parking. Other than that, I have nothing but glowing responses to everyone I have come in contact with. Doctor's, Nurses, staff, and volunteers. I have nothing bad to say about anything other than the parking jam up in the mid morning time frames. My hearing aids are top of the line, blue tooth wireless that work on my smart phone, great service every single time, unless they just see me as this special type of Gawd Like person........LOLOL!!

My vet BIL was diagnosed with ALS and he has been declining RAPIDLY. The VA is dreadfully slow, and they literally can't keep pace. My wife and I are having to take care of him 5 days a week since he can barely get around with a walker. He is "eligible" for alot of care, but the process to get access is so slow that he outpaces everything they try and do. It is truly pathetic. So far:

Promises to help, then no return calls
Broken appointments from contractors with no call
Wait weeks to months to get appointments to see Dr's
3 Separate evaluations for 3 different services
Each evaluation takes weeks to schedule, then weeks to get the reports entered, then weeks to fulfill, then he has declined beyond that need by the time they are ready to fulfill the service.

He will be in hospice by the time they get a few hours of home health care approved.
My deepest sympathies for your brother in-law. If you believe that he isn't getting the timely care he needs then seek help. This is a Ga run 501 group formed by veterans for veterans. They can make things happen. Even if they can't help directly they will put you in touch with someone who can.http://www.vetsg.org/

There are a lot of good folks that are willing to go out of their way and help you while you are at some of the clinics, but it’s always been a mixed bag for me especially at the Decatur clinic. Usually the biggest problem I have is trying to get in contact with different dept’s over the phone and get roped into the never ending loop of dropped calls and half a**ed responses. Just be sure that if you are going to try the parking decks that you can fit. I got stuck behind a dang transit van or something that got pinned and blocked the way up. Good luck! I usually go to the clinic in Carrollton due to where I’m at which is nice because I don’t have to deal with ATL traffic and they usually are pretty quick about stuff.

Back
Top Bottom