• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Value of colt 1911?

BERN

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post on ODT. A friend has asked me if I would like to buy this and wants me to make an offer. As far as I can tell the slide and frame are the only colt parts. It appears in fair shape and shoots really well. I am unable to field strip this so i am unsure of the internals. Anyone willing to swag a $$ on this? He is a good friend so I dont want to low ball him.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335578752263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335578752263.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335578765563.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335578765563.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335578781932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335578781932.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335578796707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335578796707.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335578825906.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335578825906.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 47
Welcome to the ODT. Based on these pictures, I would just pass on that pistol. Looks like some back yard gunsmithing, dont know whats been done to it.

I would PASS. and that hurts to say as I am a Colt FanBoy! Bubba smithin' at its worst. Someone took a perfectly good Colt and ruined it. That looks like a pre 70's commercial slide on what appears to be a frame someone incorrectly marked government property.It would take you more to get it to box stock that it would be worth... Sorry

It appears you have a very special piece. The front sight is that way to take advantage of the maximum sight radius allowed in NRA rules. It is also a little fragile. Don't bump it. That could damage it. It is difficult to give a value from just pictures. It's kinda like a racing engine. The important parts are what you can't see just on the outside. I suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith for evaluation. If you acquire it you will probably find it to be extremely accurate target pistol. Good Luck. Tomthumb.

I agree with the majority...

This thing looks like a mess to me.

I am scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell happened to the hammer, and what is up with that crazy front sight.

If this was done by anyone desirable, it would have a custom shop's markings. Given the flimsy nature of the front sight and the craziness of the hammer, I think this is some strange shadetree stuff.

If it were me, I would trash the slide, and maybe try to find an authentic one to fit the receiver. If you could find the proper slide to fit the "u.s. govt" receiver, at least you would have a semi-authentic WWII pistol which would look historic rather than just messed up.

-I'm not trying to be a snob, but I have been around guns and gunsmiths a LOOOONNNG time. I have never seen anything like that put out by anyone reputable.

Yes. The rear sight says bo-mar on it. The extended front ramp is brazed into a machined slot. The machining looks good (professional). It definitely shoots like a match gun.

Back
Top Bottom