Value of colt 1911?

it's an old style bullseye Pistol

not a buba as some think.. simply the stlye in the mid 60s and 70s for a early bullseye pistol. Later the full Bomar ribs became very popular in the sport. Today that pistol all have red dot scopes

had a Clark like that , except it was a 38 special that shot wad cutters.

what barrel is in it?

in those days the military 1911s were a dime a dozen (more or less) the series 70s were the pistol to build on..

Bullseye competition was in it's hey day then. I shot it for probalby 15 years with my wife and went to the national championships in Camp Perry many years..... if you really want to learn to shoot a pistol take up the sport.. one handed at 50 yards will flat teach you a thing or two ... about trigger control and sight picture.

BTW those guns will out shot any thing you buy off the shelf .... the smiths who made those really developed the 1911 's accuracy that we see today from les baer and the like.

until you shot one of those you can't appreciate how well they are made

some of the best pistolsmith's in the country made those guys..we were lucky that many lived right her in Ga over in Ft. benning at the army AMU unit..

BTW buy the pistol and simply have a "good" smith change the front sight to a more normal carry sight and you'll have a heck of a gun.

Bomar rear sights are the class of the field in adjustables for a 1911

you just need to be a bit older to appreciate them

Last edited:
Thanks mr thumb, formula, and mr glenn! Now that i know about bullseye im finding all sorts of info. Ill take this to a smith and see if i can figure out what make are the parts. I can strip a 1911. This one is hard to get apart.

Btw. You're not THE jglenn are you?

Last edited:
that all depends Bern....LOL

bulleye pistols were built very tight for absolute accuracy. the barrel bushing always requires a wrench to remove.

try opening the action a bit the turn the bushing with a wrench.. you may well have to "help" it out.

then it should come apart normally

value... tough to say as it a very specific market...sort of depends upon who made the pistol too. You being in WR it may well have been built by a very good Bulleye smith in his day named Ed Banks...Ed passed away around 2000 I think.. was very well know for his 1911s shooting extremly well.. not the prettiest but pretty doesn't win matches does it. Most all of his pistols were parkerized...he was retired AF and lived in WR after retiring.. Worked at the base a bit while smithing there in Warner Robins and Ft. Valley. Shot with him many times

Last edited:
Can't believe all of the people on here ridiculing this gun. I am glad Mr. Glenn, Thumb, and Formula finally pointed out what this is. I instantly recognized it as a 1911 built on a Government frame (available readily then and cheap) dated in the late '60s or early '70s. It wasn't meant to be a combat gun or a carry gun. It was purpose built for bullseye shooting. I would imagine it is very accurate in the first 20 rounds as long as the front sight is not bent or loose.

Back
Top Bottom