• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Varmint Rifle Help

Will Jones

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to put together a new Varmint hunting rifle. I have an AR15 I have been working on. I'm looking for sites to get my up-grade parts that wont bankrupt me. I have used a few different vendors, ARMil-spec.com, Cheaper then Dirt.com.
www.armil-spec.com helped me the most. Has good quality for the money. I guess I'm looking for other peoples opinions

Are you upgrading your current AR to make it more capable of taking varmints? I assume you mean coyotes?

Can you give more details of your current rifle and what it doesn't do that you want it to?

And welcome to the site.

Check out customar15.net as he has some very nice stuff for good prices. Justin is very helpful in getting you set up for what you want/need. He goes by GSP on the site.

Are you upgrading your current AR to make it more capable of taking varmints? I assume you mean coyotes?

Can you give more details of your current rifle and what it doesn't do that you want it to?

And welcome to the site.

It does what I need I'm just looking to make it better. I got this today off FB, Nickel Boron BCG. Having not hraed of Nickel Boron is it Better them Chrome Lined. Here the like below any input would be helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/9886229811...622981149613/1069806619697915/?type=1&theater
and

http://wshbt.amkal.servertrust.com/A2-Kit-w-BCG-Black-Upgrade-BCG-p/arm-2051.htm

It does what I need I'm just looking to make it better. I got this today off FB, Nickel Boron BCG. Having not hraed of Nickel Boron is it Better them Chrome Lined. Here the like below any input would be helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/9886229811...622981149613/1069806619697915/?type=1&theater
and

http://wshbt.amkal.servertrust.com/A2-Kit-w-BCG-Black-Upgrade-BCG-p/arm-2051.htm
Is Nickel Boron better than a standard chrome-lined parkerized bolt carrier? I guess that depends on what your definition of 'better' is.
I'm happy with the performance of the bcg's I have from Bravo Company, LMT, and PSA, none of which are NiB coated. I can't imagine that would make your AR better unless the bcg you have in it now is not from a reliable company.

Upgrade the parts that will actually help in the accuracy dept.. A good barrel from BCM, Wilson Combat, Daniel Defense or Ranier Arms. They are not the best barrels but good for sub MOA hits with the right choice. A trigger will also help out a lot in the accuracy dept.. I have used barrels from all of the manufacturers and had decent luck with them. A good scope doesn't hurt either. I like nickle boron coated parts as well they make the gun action smoother but they won't help in the accuracy department. Barrels, triggers and good scopes are where your money needs to be spent. I built two 6.8 at the same time. A ARP bolt and barrel set up for a 16 inch carbine and a Wilson Combat barrel that was on sale and it's a great barrel. I think I paid 225 for it on sale it was a 18 inch barrel and I used a Daniel Defense BCG and with a stock trigger it shoots very nice. I am working on some hand loads and with a better trigger and higher power scope it's going to be a real shooter.

Last edited:
Upgrade the parts that will actually help in the accuracy dept.. A good barrel from BCM, Wilson Combat, Daniel Defense or Ranier Arms. They are not the best barrels but good for sub MOA hits with the right choice. A trigger will also help out a lot in the accuracy dept.. I have used barrels from all of the manufacturers and had decent luck with them. A good scope doesn't hurt either. I like nickle boron coated parts as well they make the gun action smoother but they won't help in the accuracy department. Barrels, triggers and good scopes are where your money needs to be spent. I built two 6.8 at the same time. A ARP bolt and barrel set up for a 16 inch carbine and a Wilson Combat barrel that was on sale and it's a great barrel. I think I paid 225 for it on sale it was a 18 inch barrel and I used a Daniel Defense BCG and with a stock trigger it shoots very nice. I am working on some hand loads and with a better trigger and higher power scope it's going to be a real shooter.
Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom