• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

VIRGINIA IS FOR LOVERS, FISHERMEN AND HUNTERS

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
This is a pic of the mighty James River just north of my crib about 7 miles. A fisherman's paradise down there because it really no that accessable. Rarely fish. Trout and small mouth bass the size of your leg. If I could just get down there. I am going to have to study the area and find the easiest way in.

Another photo opportunity I desperately tried to get but was just fiddle farting around because I had the GPS on and I couldn't get the camera on fast enough. What happened was I was driving north of where I live just a little ways past where are those pics were taken and it hit flattened out and there was a long straight road. I noticed that it looked like there was a crop of something there because on both sides of the road the vegetation was the exact same length and had no weeds no rocks no structure in it at all but something caught my eye and I had to do a double take. I looked again and I saw about 30 deer stand well they weren't standing they were actually kind of walking but they started to run just a little because something spooked them. While I was driving I realized that if I kept the same course and speed that I was going to run into the herd so I slowed down and stopped after checking my mirrors for cars coming or anything like that. So while I'm trying to get my camera on the deer change directions for some reason and start running straight at my truck and I'm dying trying to get this phone on the the camera rather. And right when I got to the part where you pressed the button for the camera to come up they were all around my truck running past the truck there had to be between 20 and 40 of them it was very uncommon to see and a very young dear who spots were fading they were very faint and I realized that because he jumped right over the corner of my hood. I was parked so they were in no danger of getting hit but they just ran towards my truck and went around it and one happened to kind of bounce over the corner. I was so pissed off that I didn't get a picture of them just standing out in the middle of the field before they started moving but the whole experience was majestic it was unbelievable. I had never witnessed anything like that in my life. For one I've never seen that many deer together at once in the middle of the day and also I have never been in the middle of a stampede so to speak. It's kind of like that scene in Jurassic Park where they're running and all of those smaller dinosaurs were running around them it was incredible.

It would have been the pic of a lifetime and if I could have gotten the camera on and caught that deer going over the corner of the truck it would have been magical but I've never been too keen on getting these cameras on so fast. I was born of Christian faith and if somebody is in need the first thing I think of is to help them out of the situation and not go straight to my phone and turn it on which is what most of these guys do these days. So I'm not as proficient at camera retrieval as most people are with cell phones. What I don't understand is why they changed directions and headed towards me hell they had a half a mile in front of me and behind me of clear road to go over they just happened to run directly in my direction it was uncanny and if I wouldn't have been there I would not have believed it. I'm sure some of you will probably be skeptical but all I can say is I got to see one of the most grand deer moments of all my life.

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_155733163.jpg
    IMG_20220413_155733163.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220413_155738661.jpg
    IMG_20220413_155738661.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 21
This is a pic of the mighty James River just north of my crib about 7 miles. A fisherman's paradise down there because it really no that accessable. Rarely fish. Trout and small mouth bass the size of your leg. If I could just get down there. I am going to have to study the area and find the easiest way in.

Another photo opportunity I desperately tried to get but was just fiddle farting around because I had the GPS on and I couldn't get the camera on fast enough. What happened was I was driving north of where I live just a little ways past where are those pics were taken and it hit flattened out and there was a long straight road. I noticed that it looked like there was a crop of something there because on both sides of the road the vegetation was the exact same length and had no weeds no rocks no structure in it at all but something caught my eye and I had to do a double take. I looked again and I saw about 30 deer stand well they weren't standing they were actually kind of walking but they started to run just a little because something spooked them. While I was driving I realized that if I kept the same course and speed that I was going to run into the herd so I slowed down and stopped after checking my mirrors for cars coming or anything like that. So while I'm trying to get my camera on the deer change directions for some reason and start running straight at my truck and I'm dying trying to get this phone on the the camera rather. And right when I got to the part where you pressed the button for the camera to come up they were all around my truck running past the truck there had to be between 20 and 40 of them it was very uncommon to see and a very young dear who spots were fading they were very faint and I realized that because he jumped right over the corner of my hood. I was parked so they were in no danger of getting hit but they just ran towards my truck and went around it and one happened to kind of bounce over the corner. I was so pissed off that I didn't get a picture of them just standing out in the middle of the field before they started moving but the whole experience was majestic it was unbelievable. I had never witnessed anything like that in my life. For one I've never seen that many deer together at once in the middle of the day and also I have never been in the middle of a stampede so to speak. It's kind of like that scene in Jurassic Park where they're running and all of those smaller dinosaurs were running around them it was incredible.

It would have been the pic of a lifetime and if I could have gotten the camera on and caught that deer going over the corner of the truck it would have been magical but I've never been too keen on getting these cameras on so fast. I was born of Christian faith and if somebody is in need the first thing I think of is to help them out of the situation and not go straight to my phone and turn it on which is what most of these guys do these days. So I'm not as proficient at camera retrieval as most people are with cell phones. What I don't understand is why they changed directions and headed towards me hell they had a half a mile in front of me and behind me of clear road to go over they just happened to run directly in my direction it was uncanny and if I wouldn't have been there I would not have believed it. I'm sure some of you will probably be skeptical but all I can say is I got to see one of the most grand deer moments of all my life.
It doesn’t look that steep.. just walk down there and fish.

Shiiiiiiir
It doesn’t look that steep.. just walk down there and fish.
Shiiiiiiit! We're I was standing if I would have walked 10 more feet I would still be falling at this very minute. I would have to say where I was there was a 65 to 75 percent gradient down that hill and a conservative guess.

Shiiiiiiir
Shiiiiiiit! We're I was standing if I would have walked 10 more feet I would still be falling at this very minute. I would have to say where I was there was a 65 to 75 percent gradient down that hill and a conservative guess.
Yeah it looked steep. So pretty down through there though it almost looked worth the trek down to the river with a fishing rod in hand, I’d say right there doesn’t get too much pressure.

Yeah it looked steep. So pretty down through there though it almost looked worth the trek down to the river with a fishing rod in hand, I’d say right there doesn’t get too much pressure.
The Maury River is one is the med sized River that feeds that river in the pic
It's the prettier clearish green color you have ever seen. It on up north about another 15 miles and I would love to take a River Hawk Ganoe down that river. Just picturesque stretches of that clear water. Small Mouth Haven dude! There is no doubt a couple of stretches of river I believe would produce some slabs of fish. Down here by me when I had my boat my buddy caught one of the biggest small mouths I have ever seen in real life. This thing was Fisherman Magazine feature material. Freaking huge. I know up north there where that pic was from would produce some monsters. Some wicked sized trout as well. That waster is cold and clear. Perfect trout habitat.

Back
Top Bottom