W. Virginia Senate passes constitutional carry bill with broad support

How would constitutional carry affect gun sales for both dealers and private sales?

I ask this because while it restores our freedom to bare arms, it could possibly make firearms transactions more of a hassle. While a weapons permit is not required to purchase a firearm from a dealer, having one makes it a faster process because you don't have to wait on a background check on the spot. From a private sale viewpoint, a permit signifies that the person you are selling to has passed a background check and is legally able to own firearms. If the state were to stop issuing permits all together and/or make current permits practically useless, that would mean each time you purchase a firearm from a dealer you would have to get a background check. And with the amount of guns some people buy, that could raise red flags. This would also make private sales riskier since you would have no way to know if the person you're selling to is legally able to own a firearm unless you're selling to a family member or a close friend.

Does this bill state whether or not the State will still issue permits if one chooses to want one?

Unless they stop making background checks required and make it not illegal to supply someone with a firearm who then uses it in an unlawful manner this could have a negative effect for us.

http://www.guns.com/2016/02/23/wv-s...fd7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

It is already lawful to open carry a firearm in the state of West Virginia without government-mandated permitting, training and a poll tax....

But denying and vetoing HB 4145 (68-31 win) is for public safety... Think of this baby!

l2.yimg.com_bt_api_res_1.2_QXgoZURJHWsAjlCrIBbCvQ___YXBwaWQ9eW54521b581c23b7fe73828893579cb24b.png

Good, for the people of West Virginia!

How would constitutional carry affect gun sales for both dealers and private sales?

I ask this because while it restores our freedom to bare arms, it could possibly make firearms transactions more of a hassle. While a weapons permit is not required to purchase a firearm from a dealer, having one makes it a faster process because you don't have to wait on a background check on the spot. From a private sale viewpoint, a permit signifies that the person you are selling to has passed a background check and is legally able to own firearms. If the state were to stop issuing permits all together and/or make current permits practically useless, that would mean each time you purchase a firearm from a dealer you would have to get a background check. And with the amount of guns some people buy, that could raise red flags. This would also make private sales riskier since you would have no way to know if the person you're selling to is legally able to own a firearm unless you're selling to a family member or a close friend.

Does this bill state whether or not the State will still issue permits if one chooses to want one?

Unless they stop making background checks required and make it not illegal to supply someone with a firearm who then uses it in an unlawful manner this could have a negative effect for us.

Don't know if WV will still issue permits.
However you are not required to check for a GWCL or the like when selling a firearm in a private sale, You are only breaking to law if you knowingly provide/ sale a firearm to a prohibited person. The key work is knowingly. If you sell a glock 19 to Joe Jones at the next gun show, he later robs a store, gets caught, turns out he is a convicted felon, they trace said glock back to you, as long as you did not know joe was a felon you did not break any federal or Georgia laws.
I assume know one wants to sale a firearm to a felon, however checking for their GWCL will not guarantee they are not, They could have been conviced after it was issued and unless some one informed the probate court they would not know to revoke said GWCL. They olny way to be sure would be to transfer said firearm at an FFL. ( then you still can't be 100% sure)

We should punish people who comitt crimes and not waste money or resources on background checks that only inconveniece law abiding people. Don't get me started on having to pay the goverement for a permit to exercise my rights...

I know having a carry permit isn't an absolute guarantee that the person is legally able to own firearms but it gives me at least a peace of mind that if they were to commit a crime with a weapon I sold them, I can say I've checked their permit.

It is highly unlikely that background checks will ever go away when it comes to purchasing firearms. If West Virginia stops issuing permits and make current permits null, gun buyers will have to go through a background check every time they purchase from a dealer. Makes me wonder if proponents of the bill have thought about that.

Back
Top Bottom