• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

waffen werks bulgarian AK-74 5.45 or 47 7.62

MR003510

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
23   1
Reaction score
Should I go with the waffen werks bulgarian ak-74 5.45 or wait and get a 47 7.62? What are some reviews you have on the 74. I'm looking at $850 new. I know there is a lot of you AK guys on here so tell me your opinion... Now I know that AK are reliable no jams, runs with sand, piss, dirt, water this I understand; whould pick AK over my Real (not Walmart bs cheaper) colt 5.56 if it came to it. I just need to know weather to jump on this 74 or wait for a 47. Thanks

I can not speak for WW but I can say the AK74 is by far the favorite rifle I own, cheap ammo albeit hard to get right now. The surplus ammo is corrosive and I would bet the WW does not come with a Chrome bore so OCD cleaning would need to be practiced. With that said I also love my 47's they just do not get fired as much. I believe you can get a Arsenal SGL31-61 which does have a chrome bore for around the same price.

I prefer the 7.62x39 round personally. A very potent .30 cal round that packs quite a punch and "usually" cheap ammo that is readily available that is not corrosive. Seems like the 7.62 round is a little easier to come by too.

The waffen werks is Chrome line all the way. You are right about the ammo its a little harder to come by all of a sudden but I will get plenty I'm sure. I am gonna try an stay away from the surplus and go with wolf non corrosive if I can get couple thousand. It's shouldent be too expensive I do love that about the 5.45

THe 5.45 is a very potent tumbler round and I outshoot my 47 5 to 1 . They are low on recoil and I have shot 2 deer with it also with hollow points and it drops them. Most of the ammo is corrosive but at 120 a 1000 for ammo who cares. I have put over 20000 rounds thru it and it still functions fine. Just clean the hot lacquer off the bolt face occasionally. Its also lighter when your carrying alot of ammo in your pocket. I really enjoy the ak74 and its one that was over looked when I first bought it but now everyone likes. Plus ammo has become more available in the last 10 years with surplus.

Devin25gun we are neighbours. If yours put down a deer then that's good for me. I like that the lighter 5.45 comes close to 3000 fps like 5.56 very accurate at 2-300 yards. The 7.62 is only around 2300 fps which is a big difference

I've owned the Arsenal SGL 21 and 31 and like them both. For now I've decided to stick with the 74 because of the price of ammo and how much easier it is to manage. Either way, you will end up with a fine rifle!

I have a Polish Tantal and an Adams Arms upper in 5.45x39. Love 'em both. Great round that costs about half of what 5.56/.223 costs.

The draw back is that the surplus ammo is corrosive, but that's just one additional step to your cleaning routine (as long as you clean the day you shoot).

I think 7.62 does more damage to cinder blocks, etc, but for good all around plinking, it's hard to beat the 5.45!

I love it so much I've thought about getting out of .223 altogether...

Back
Top Bottom