WASR Bolt Carrier Question

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
Well I know the universal answer here is probably gonna be " Don't try to fix what ain't broke" but I'll ask anyway. My WASR has either a painted or otherwise black coated bolt carrier. My last AK ( a Mak90) had a plain uncoated carrier. I've watched WASR review and tech videos on YouTube and some guys say you should lightly polish the receiver rails to smooth out the action. One or two suggested removing whatever this black **** is and polishing the carrier. I know it would look better that way. But will it help any? I haven't had a single FTF/FTE issue out of this rifle. But the action is really gritty feeling when I chamber a round. And if you don't let it go from all the way back it will kinda hang up on the hammer face. Not a big deal. It's just not smooth as it should be.

So to polish or leave it alone? That's the question.

Throw it away buy another. . . . . Just kidding. . . I'd leave it alone. I only oil my aks. No cleaning, none of that unnecessary crap.

Well I know the universal answer here is probably gonna be " Don't try to fix what ain't broke" but I'll ask anyway. My WASR has either a painted or otherwise black coated bolt carrier. My last AK ( a Mak90) had a plain uncoated carrier. I've watched WASR review and tech videos on YouTube and some guys say you should lightly polish the receiver rails to smooth out the action. One or two suggested removing whatever this black **** is and polishing the carrier. I know it would look better that way. But will it help any? I haven't had a single FTF/FTE issue out of this rifle. But the action is really gritty feeling when I chamber a round. And if you don't let it go from all the way back it will kinda hang up on the hammer face. Not a big deal. It's just not smooth as it should be.

So to polish or leave it alone? That's the question.
It will def. be smoother....although shootin it a lot will do the same.

Throw it away buy another. . . . . Just kidding. . . I'd leave it alone. I only oil my aks. No cleaning, none of that unnecessary crap.
Yeah I'm subscribed to acouple on YouTube called Zombies R Us. The guy had a really cool 17" cut down job on a Mosin. It through fireballs. Anyway the same guy has a joke video comparing the proper oiling of an AR VS AK. So he went through all the proper steps on oiling the AR and puttr it back together. Then with AK he took the top cover off hocked a loogie in it and put the cover back on. It was funny as hell. I'd put the linkup here but I have no idea how to do iton this Verizon tablet.

It will def. be smoother....although shootin it a lot will do the same.
But do you think the bare steel will be an issue? I don't neglect my guns but I'm not right on top of stuff either. Soon I'll be living around Brunswick and the ocean. Last month when my wife came back from down there her Kel Tec 32 had a light brown haze over the entire slide. That required a good bit of oil and rubbing .

But do you think the bare steel will be an issue? I don't neglect my guns but I'm not right on top of stuff either. Soon I'll be living around Brunswick and the ocean. Last month when my wife came back from down there her Kel Tec 32 had a light brown haze over the entire slide. That required a good bit of oil and rubbing .
I would not polish the whole thing....just where needed to slide better.

I would not polish the whole thing....just where needed to slide better.
Well I wanted the bare steel look like the Chinese rifles have.And the black coating is wearing off length wise on the gas piston anyway. So I figured I'd do it with some fine steel wool. I got lots of attachments for my Dremel but sometimes you can overdo it with a Dremel before you realize it..

I've polished many AK bolts down to a chrome finish. Looks cool. Doesn't work any better. Smoothing out the trigger will fix your sticky bolt though. The dremel is the way to go. When I get home I will get the name of my polish that worked real well.

Use these heads (pic) plus water to pull off all the black, then polish 700 times!
drem.JPG

I've polished many AK bolts down to a chrome finish. Looks cool. Doesn't work any better. Smoothing out the trigger will fix your sticky bolt though. The dremel is the way to go. When I get home I will get the name of my polish that worked real well.

Use these heads (pic) plus water to pull off all the black, then polish 700 times!
View attachment 544814
Well now that I think about it, the top side that I can see ain't really making any contact with anything. So yeah that part of it would be all about looks. Let me get to my real computer and post pics of my carrier.

This is what my carrier looks like. I assume the wear right up next to the gas piston is normal. But it would LOOK better with all the black coating gone. And as Leech commented right above I should probably polish up the hammer face.

Attachments

• AK bc.jpg
    AK bc.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 9
  • AC bc3.jpg
    AC bc3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 9
  • AK bc2.jpg
    AK bc2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom