Wearing a Harness

Get one. I have been out of my stand once when a good gust of wind came and out i went.. i was glad i had mine on... Nothing like falling 5 ft instead of 20. I was happy.. i was even happier when i teatheted in my bow so i didnt have to go chase it or even worse, buy a new one bevause of it would have got messes up from a drop that high....

I carry a screw in tree step in my pocket so IF I fall, I can relieve the pressure off my legs by screwing that step into the tree. It also would be an aid in getting back in the tree stand, provided the bottom of my climber didn't go to the ground.

Good idea to tether your bottom of your climber to the top part in case it were to fall out from under you on any part of the ascent/ descent.
Once in the desired spot I always use a ratcheting strap around the top portion of the climber to help it to stay put.

So I got my harness, my top stand ratcheted tight, my bottom part tethered to the top part, my safety harness positioned properly so I don't strangle myself if I fall out suddenly for any reason, my weapon tethered on a short 4' lanyard, and my top part of my stand has a rifle rest that dubs as a good safety rail in case I want to stand and lean over the rail.

I feel very safe in the stand but it seems to take forever setting up in the morning which is why I like to enter the woods and be up in the tree before first light.
The headlight is one of the best accessories ever.........just get one that has white and red LEDs and use the red as much as possible at your tree while setting up..........just make sure you have new batteries or spares in your pocket.
Nothing worse than doing this in the dark.

I still have not mastered being quiet while setting up.

I think this is one reason my buddy does not like using harnesses, tethers and larger tree stands.

He likes getting up the tree as quickly as possible with no hassle or restrictions........this is great that he can be up the tree AMD ready to go while I am still setting up , and making noise but I think the benefits of safety outweigh simplicity.

Last edited:
If you used a pull strap instead of a ratchet strap it would probably save a few minutes and a good bit of noise.

I do almost all the same things as you though (minus the strap). I've found that after a few times it all became second nature and climbing up and down a tree is a 3 move process instead of the normal two. I'll climb way way way up a tree if I'm gun hunting and I too like to get in well before daylight. I've been known to get in early enough to take a quick nap before it is time to hunt.

I'd say that your processes and steps (even with the noise) are way better than taking a chance of dropping out of a tree. I'm sure your friends and family appreciate you taking those precautions as well.

Good luck this season! Only 2 more days!!!

If you used a pull strap instead of a ratchet strap it would probably save a few minutes and a good bit of noise.

I do almost all the same things as you though (minus the strap). I've found that after a few times it all became second nature and climbing up and down a tree is a 3 move process instead of the normal two. I'll climb way way way up a tree if I'm gun hunting and I too like to get in well before daylight. I've been known to get in early enough to take a quick nap before it is time to hunt.

I'd say that your processes and steps (even with the noise) are way better than taking a chance of dropping out of a tree. I'm sure your friends and family appreciate you taking those precautions as well.

Good luck this season! Only 2 more days!!!

Very good idea on the pull strap......I actually have one I can use that I secure my pack to my stand with while walking in....great idea.
Only thing left to do is to sharpen the tree teeth a bit on my climbers since they lost some of their bite from last season.

Thanks for the well wishes....good luck to you also.

Back
Top Bottom