Wearing a Harness

I'd be happy to have that extra 5 minutes to figure out what to do next. Make sure you get a quality one that is comfortable. You should also wear it all the way up and down the tree. You will get use to it after a while and it will be second nature. I've been wearing one for years and just was able to influence my buddies recently to start wearing them.

A waist-belt harness may do you in after a time,but I use harnesses that are like a parachute harness.Some of the guys who were shot down in Vietnam spent a long time hanging in their harness.Some of the D-Day paratroopers hung all night or more and survived.

A waist-belt harness may do you in after a time,but I use harnesses that are like a parachute harness.Some of the guys who were shot down in Vietnam spent a long time hanging in their harness.Some of the D-Day paratroopers hung all night or more and survived.

Very true. You just need to keep the pressure off your legs. Most either have a relief strap and quick release buckles on the leg straps.

I always wear a harness and have the Prussic knot thing I attach to.

I carry a chest mounted knife in case I need to cut myself free for any reason.
In this case I can hang onto the tree and climb down if I have to cut myself free.

I am getting my buddy a harness for an early Christmas present since he has a small, lightweight, open chair climber that he could easily fall out of.
He usually climbs to 40' level and tells me he falls asleep in his stand, And he is in his late 50's and arthritic with too many war wounds that give him pain.
He is a mess but a great hunter, just really could screw up a hunt if he fell, ya know what I mean?

Always wear it. It is especially crucial when I'm hanging or taking down lock on stands (usually over 20 each season). Even when I go up in my climber I've got it on. Once you start using it they are fast and easy to move up the tree. I've got a line and prusik knot on my primary lock on that sits at 30' and for the other lock on stands I use the lineman's strap to get up and then lock in the lanyard once I'm in. I'll use it in an open ladder stand too.
The Hunter Safety harness was okay to me but now I've got the Gorilla G20 and I love it. It fits really well and stays put.
I've had a couple of close calls and even a ground level spill in a climber. I don't want to hit the ground, it is harder and tougher than I am.
I'd highly suggest getting one and using it religiously unless you are in an enclosed ladder stand, shooting house, or hunt from the ground.

Always wear it. It is especially crucial when I'm hanging or taking down lock on stands (usually over 20 each season). Even when I go up in my climber I've got it on. Once you start using it they are fast and easy to move up the tree. I've got a line and prusik knot on my primary lock on that sits at 30' and for the other lock on stands I use the lineman's strap to get up and then lock in the lanyard once I'm in. I'll use it in an open ladder stand too.
The Hunter Safety harness was okay to me but now I've got the Gorilla G20 and I love it. It fits really well and stays put.
I've had a couple of close calls and even a ground level spill in a climber. I don't want to hit the ground, it is harder and tougher than I am.
I'd highly suggest getting one and using it religiously unless you are in an enclosed ladder stand, shooting house, or hunt from the ground.

What he said X2

I usually hunt from the ground in a blind, but sometimes I hunt in a ladder stand...and I installed a seat belt on it. It's virtually impossible to fall out of my stand unless the ladder breaks away from the tree.

Just get the right harness.Paratroopers and shot-down aircrewmembers have spent many hours in a harness,in a tree,with no ill effects.A belt-only rig can squeeze your diaphragm and kill you,but a good harness,used right,will save you.You ain`t gonna hang there long.You`ll figure out how to get back in your stand or shinny down the tree.I`ve shot bows,crossbows,and guns for years,in a harness.If a harness prevents you from shooting,you probably ain`t gonna hit anything anyway.

I carry a screw in tree step in my pocket so IF I fall, I can relieve the pressure off my legs by screwing that step into the tree. It also would be an aid in getting back in the tree stand, provided the bottom of my climber didn't go to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom