• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Well, that sucked.

Hey, you didn't get skunked! Did you feel you would have stayed more dry if you had held your breath and just flipped the yak over until it stopped raining? :)

Glad to hear you made it out OK. I was thinking about hitting the Coosa tomorrow to see if the Stripers have started to move up. With all the rain today I'm not sure if will even be worth it.

Hey, you didn't get skunked! Did you feel you would have stayed more dry if you had held your breath and just flipped the yak over until it stopped raining? :)

Glad to hear you made it out OK. I was thinking about hitting the Coosa tomorrow to see if the Stripers have started to move up. With all the rain today I'm not sure if will even be worth it.
I didn't really care about getting wet. When you're in a yak, that's pretty much a given anyway. My problem was the idea of getting electrocuted by one of the many lightening bolts that were flying around. At one point I beached it for about 45 minutes to let the worst pass, but by the time I was close to the ramp it was just as bad again.

Yes it is.

After.

My favorite saying is "The more miserable you are now, the better the story will be later".

There were a few times out on a lake where one of us commented "Dang, this is going to make one heck of a story..."
...most of time in the middle of a near death experience, lol. Pelted by hail, almost capsized in a storm, alligators... good times.

I didn't really care about getting wet. When you're in a yak, that's pretty much a given anyway. My problem was the idea of getting electrocuted by one of the many lightening bolts that were flying around. At one point I beached it for about 45 minutes to let the worst pass, but by the time I was close to the ramp it was just as bad again.

Yep, I know that fear. It scared me plenty to be in a fiberglass bass boat when there is lightning around. Now that I'm in an aluminum boat it's even more scary. I remember getting caught in a storm when I was little fishing with my Dad. We got out and found cover best we could. There was a strike so close I could feel a little tingle when it hit. It's not a fun feeling to be out there with electric daggers hitting all around you.

Oh yeah, no fun out in that. Been there, done that, it was an adventure I'll only be in for once.
I got scared and had that weird laugh thing going on. Just incredible how it whips up on the lake!

I hid under a boat dock and still got beat up. Interesting though, fishing had been poor all morning. After the storm passed I knocked em dead. You couldn't cast and not catch a fish, it went on that way for an hour. I still don't know if it was the temperature change in the water, because of the hail or just the hail tearing up the surface.

Either way I don't want to be on the lake until after the storm passes.
It's a life or death thing, really, lol.

Glad you're ok.

Last edited:
My favorite saying is "The more miserable you are now, the better the story will be later".

There were a few times out on a lake where one of us commented "Dang, this is going to make one heck of a story..."
...most of time in the middle of a near death experience, lol. Pelted by hail, almost capsized in a storm, alligators... good times.
I can so relate to that. Well, not the gators. LOL!

Ever surfed a 20 foot center console on 15 foot waves trying to get back in from 18 miles out. No fun at all, but a great story. A weather buoy 7 miles further out recorded a 53 foot freak wave the next day.

Yep, I know that fear. It scared me plenty to be in a fiberglass bass boat when there is lightning around. Now that I'm in an aluminum boat it's even more scary. I remember getting caught in a storm when I was little fishing with my Dad. We got out and found cover best we could. There was a strike so close I could feel a little tingle when it hit. It's not a fun feeling to be out there with electric daggers hitting all around you.
I was out in the gulf once when we beach the boat and ran for cover under a pavilion near the ramp. We saw several lightning strikes hit the water and the structure we were under with several other folks got rattled badly several times. At one point we saw an ambulance rush to the ramp itself, about 100 yards away, and then rush out again. We couldn't see what was going on because our view of the dock was blocked by a building. The next day we found out a 16 year old kid had been struck by lighting and killed.

Back
Top Bottom