Went bow hunting today ....first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
I dig this a lot. I went out this afternoon with my $85 bow package I got off the ODT. We hunted the dirt road where we have a deer stand. Never made it up into the stand. Saw unnatural movement on the left side of the road in the thick grass and brush. Low and behold a doe was chomping away on a veggie plate. Lol. So I knocked an arrow and let it fly. Maybe 40 yards. Went over her. She didn't see me. I walked a bit closer ....knocked another arrow. Went high! Dang it. My adrenaline was pumping. Dang deer must be a millennial, she still didn't see me. Finally she saw me and turned back into the thick. I took a shot and was low. So i turned around and saw 2 deer about 150 yards back down the road. I stalked quietly back down hoping to catch one. Well low and behold a coyote was charging my way. I knocked an arrow and slam got him. He jumped and ran into the woods. I could not find him. Will be looking tomorrow.

Here are some pics of where the deer bed down and one of the fields.

It doesn't take very much to miss one with a bow. I've racked up quite a few misses on both deer and bobcats the last couple years with my bow. The challenge of making the shot is part of what makes it so much fun. Over the last 3 seasons, I've killed 2 deer and 2 bobcats with a bow. I've missed 6 or 7 deer, 2 bobcats, and 2 coyotes in that same period of time for various reasons.

This thread pisses me off...sorry...no...not sorry. Learn to shoot your damn bow. And invest in quality equipment to pick up slack on some of your lacking skills. Maybe some combination of practice and better equipment will improve accuracy. Accuracy = Humane kills. If this isn't important to you, please stick to X Box and stay out of the woods. I'm sick of seeing deer walking around with arrows stuck in their infected back legs and rumps

This thread pisses me off...sorry...no...not sorry. Learn to shoot your damn bow. And invest in quality equipment to pick up slack on some of your lacking skills. Maybe some combination of practice and better equipment will improve accuracy. Accuracy = Humane kills. If this isn't important to you, please stick to X Box and stay out of the woods. I'm sick of seeing deer walking around with arrows stuck in their infected back legs and rumps

Let me guess, you've never missed or made a bad shot on an animal in your life. Please tell us more about how perfect you are.

While RdKill is right about one thing practice is paramount when bowhunting. Get a range finder and practice till you get good groups and for me I let most deer walk at 40 yards. 30 yards is about my longest shot I'll take unless conditions are absolutely perfect. Blood tracking all night long a few times broke me of taking long shots. Either way congrats and welcome to the addiction and when you get that first one it will be the most rewarding deer you have ever shot. Good luck man and practice often only if it's shooting 2-3 arrows a night your proficiency will greatly improve. Like I said break down and get a good range finder they are worth their weight in gold to a bowhunter.

Never played x box I would not even be able to identify one. My bow is a Fred Bear pse set to 27" draw and 60# weight using 125 broad heads. I have always taken game humanely or let them walk. Heck I have even let fish go. I am a rifleman and last night was my first time With a bow.
You will be hooked soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom