• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

West German Sig 226

SKSman

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
I Traded for a 1992 West German Sig 226 the other day. I knew the slides were slightly different, but the trigger and hammer springs are also different. I did a full disassemble today because the gun was very dirty. I have no clue of the round count but the barrel makes me think alot.

My Questions are:
What parts need to be replaced for maintenance due to age?
Do i need to replace some parts with newer sig 226 parts?
Will an SRT Trigger kit Drop in here?
Does my Barrel look like it needs replacing?
Are there Parts that wont work on the older 226's?

IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2963.jpg
IMG_2961.jpg

Last edited:
Pick you up a spring kit from Top Gun Supply or send it to Sig and get the Sig Service Package.
Sig will do the SRT while they have it if you want it (you do.), or keep checking Top Gun 'til they have them in stock and do it yourself.
Cant tell anything about the barrel without looking through it; outside wear normal. How's the crown? Sig will re-cut the crown too if you want.
More important than the barrel exterior, how are the slide rails? Check out this old article on Bruce Gray's site for what to look for. While you're there, check out the services he offers. If you can stand the wait, any work they preform on a firearm is worth what they charge.
On second thought, that 226 looks really dangerous. You shouldn't attempt to fire it. Tell you what, PM me for my address and I'll dispose of it properly for you - no cost.

I Traded for a 1992 West German Sig 226 the other day. I knew the slides were slightly different, but the trigger and hammer springs are also different. I did a full disassemble today because the gun was very dirty. I have no clue of the round count but the barrel makes me think alot.

Trigger, hammer (main-spring), and slide-catch lever springs have been updated for few P-series pistols. The newer, shorter main-spring and seat will make DA trigger pull slightly smoother. (not lighter though) You will need newer grips or modify your current grips for short main-spring and seat combo.

My Questions are:
What parts need to be replaced for maintenance due to age? Parts kit would be a good start, includes most small springs.

Do i need to replace some parts with newer sig 226 parts? ??? It worked fine since 1992, what new parts do you want to add or update?

Will an SRT Trigger kit Drop in here? It should, I prefer stock trigger and have replaced SRT kit with stock sear and safety lever in past.

Does my Barrel look like it needs replacing? Looks can be deceiving. Run your fingernail over smileys, if it doesn't feel flat/ even then maybe...

Are there Parts that wont work on the older 226's? Your P226 is full of good tool-steel small parts not the newer MIM parts, I'd leave it alone if it was mine...

I usually order Sig parts from Top Gun Supply, they have been reliable source for me.

Last edited:
Tons of amazing info..... Thanks a lot. I read in another forum that these old style mainsprings can ruin your gun. Probably just BS, idk. The rails on this gun look great to me. I was actually surprised judging by the finish of the gun. I really appreciate your responses! I love the ODT!

Last edited:
Thanks all. I got a replacement parts kit and changed out the springs and some pins. I found that the pin that holds in the breech block was broken in 3 places. I also replaced the grips with the newer style and main hammer spring with the newer style. Have to hit the range this week. Thanks for the help ODT

Back
Top Bottom